Ok

this is not a post to boast about group sizes, I went with my mate to the range this morning to start practising for next years F Class season (using our tactical rifles as my partners isnt completed yet)

We set up from a stout picnic table bench as the rush bobs were too high to lay down and shoot from prone and we didn't have a brush cutter to knock em down.

Weather was minus 3 and ready to snow.

You may see the targets in this view

DSCN1393.jpg

But theyre a bit clearer here, just above the brown grass at 509 mtrs (556 yards)

DSCN1394.jpg

It was a distance we though was about 500 mtrs (as I left the RF at the FP when we set up the targets, not too bad a guess though :D )

The targets, well, the F Class V bull is 5 inches diameter, we used 4 inch square's cut from an empty Stella box - that just "happened" to be at the farm - funny how many I find there :rolleyes:

We set up two targets Rics was a plain wood backer, I had the green backer - it was straight before we started shooting - honest :D both these shots were taken after we finished.

DSCN1399-1.jpg

DSCN1397-1.jpg

Back at the FP, we checked the wind, blowing average 7 mph from 7o'clock (behind from left), so after checking Exbal AND hard copy data from another programme, we both set the scopes at 2.7mil elevation and .2 mil left windage.

We were both shooting 6.5x47's with S&B PM11's - identical chambers and pretty much identical ballistics.

We fired 5 rounds each and went back to the target.

No bullet marks on the board AT ALL, however, the ground showed impact points on the RHS, but a good foot to the right of the boards (obviously behind)

It was clear that the wind was doing more than blowing straight from 7 o'clock, out at the targets the wind was coming from 9 oclock and was slightly stronger - more effect, the land also slopes from L to R which may have caused a "shear" effect??

Anyway, we marked the impact areas of the land and returned to the FP.

Second time around, five rounds, retaining 2.7MIL elevation but now adding a full MIL left windage (about 18 inches)

The wind at the FP had not changed and was still blowing from 7o'clock at average 7mph

Rics 2nd 5 shots - (.1 MIL low and .1 MIL too much windage)

DSCN1392.jpg

My own (.1MIL too low and just a wee bit right)

DSCN1391.jpg

I marked the bullet strikes in pen and then we returned to fire a ten shot group each.

Upon returning to the FP, the wind had really changed, now it was blowing towards us, at 8 mph from 10 O'clock, but when I looked at the figures, I did not alter the scope settings.

1st shot shown with pink arrow, then the other 9 are identified with yellow dots (previous 5 shots are in red)

Ric called the first round "a bit left" so I took off .3 MIL and shot the remaining 9

DSCN1396-2.jpg

Rics target - all a bit too far left, but we didnt spot this untill "the group" formed.

DSCN1398-1.jpg

It started snowing shortly after, so testing was curtailed for the day, BUT, and this is the point of the post, it just goes to show that no matter how often you shoot at distance, you never stop learning about the wind - have to admit that I was pretty cheesed off at missing the entire board first time around, but the grasses on the ground near the target boards were not indicating higher wind speeds at the apprach to then board (or the change in direction)

Having said that once we knew how far the wind was taking the bullets it was relatively easy to bring them back in....

Go figure :mad::wacko: need to start carrying my weather station a bit more often me thinks :D

Hi mate, heres something to try - pick a day with windy conditions and set say 3 targets up, one at 100m, one at 300m and one at 500m - fire 2 shots at 100m, 3 shots at 300m and 5 shots at 500m.

You should be able to predict the next distance enough from the previous distance to get shots on target first time - if not, practice it more then see how far you can extend the range or drop a distance and take the batteries out of the PDA and use your head you know more than it does.

David.

I have to say you lads have got to be keen to be blaming away on an exposed moor in minus 3. Pretty nice shooting anyway especially given the conditions. Was it a Diggle familierisation trip, I here it can be bleak up there sometimes.

A

Fortunately, (or not) my range is about the same height above sea level as Diggle and suffers from the same "ill winds", it is an excellent practice area and yes, we go out in all weathers - except fog :D

Keen and daft ;)

My own load is 39g of Varget under a 123g Scenar with match primer.

On a still day I get .4" group at 100 mtrs.

Velocity is 3000 fps.

Try also H4350 and RL15, these are supposed to be "the" powders for 6.5x47, but ive had better results IN MY rifle with Varget.

RL15 is not consistant lot to lot and is dirty to shoot, didnt get consistant loads with H4350.

The target shot in the pics is not reflective of a traget shot on a still day at 500 mtrs ;)

Hi mate, this reminds me of something - next time you are there and conditions are crap run 550m and put a balloon on a stick (with a longish piece of string), walk back - getting really soaked, roll rifle in wet grass grass a bit and try first cold bore shot at balloon.

david.

Hi mate, this reminds me of something - next time you are there and conditions are crap run 550m and put a balloon on a stick (with a longish piece of string), walk back - getting really soaked, roll rifle in wet grass grass a bit and try first cold bore shot at balloon.

david.

That was an unpleasant, freezing and cold 2 hours - but made easier with good company mate ;):D:lol::D

Ive also tried, 129g SST, 130g Berger, 130g Norma Diamond line.

All are good, if I used this calbre for deer I would use the 129g SST's in it.

Archived