6.5x47, 6.5x55 or 6.5x284?

moses

I currently have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 which is mainly a stalking rifle but, I do also use it for foxing.

I am thinking of a new custom project in 6.5 and am unsure which of the above to go for so, I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

The swede has been a great round for me and I've dropped a lot of deer with it, however do you think the 47 or 284 would be a better choice? What are their benefits over the swede performance wise?

Thanks in advance

Moses

There are no benefits performance wise from the 6.5x47 over the swede or for that matter from the 6.5-284 either.

the 6.5x 47 is a very high pressure cartridge that will not handle the range of bullet weights that the swede will and the 6.5-284 is also high pressure, high intensity cartridge that will fry your throat in under 1000rnds.

Stick with the 6.5x55 or have a look at the .260" similar ballistics but a shorter case.

Ian.

And if you intend to use the Sako as the donor, you are stuck with the odd boltface of the "55"

All the options you have listed will do the same or similar things, just personal preferance really.

6.5x47 comes into its own with bullets of 130g and under in a short action.

6.5x284 will handle up to 140grainers and has the advantage of extra case capacity / velocity - although the trade off is reduced barrel life and you need to use a L/A

260 Rem - possibly "best" alrounder will take up to 140's with slight reduction in velocity over "284", but you can use it in S/A, it doesnt burn barrels and is one of those "inherantly accurate" cartridges (just like all the others listed)

6.5x55 - well its a time served old warrior with nothing to prove, will take up to 160g bullets, its easy on barrels and again accurate, recoil is sweet.

Ammunition (if you dont load your own) is probably freely available for 6.5x55 but you may struggle with the others in most shops.

Hi

if you are planning to run the action that you all ready own then you are kinda stuck with the long action cartridges.

this will be 6.5x284 this will run on the 6.5x55 bolt face with no problems,i know that the 6.5x55 bolt face is bigger but this would not cause you any trouble.i would not worry about barrel wear with the 6.5x284, it will last you a long long time if you are just shooting deer with it. or just stick with the 6.5x55 it has time proven pedigree,it will and has done all you ask of it.

you already have a 270 win and this will shoot the heavy bullets,

if you are going to change your action for a stainles steel one or a full custom, then any of the cases you mentioned will do the job.

you just have to decide if you will want a long action or short.

I would

re barrel the action you have in to 6.5x55,This will save you having to sell the action you have,and then trying to find a S/S one.this will all come down to what you chose as your next round. i would stick a mcmillan on her,and if you are bothered about rust,you could all ways have the action dura coated. or you could have it re blued, (is the action showing any signs of rust yet,or is it in tip top condition)

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Archived