Tumbler assembly - Grrr

Oly

OK, so today my Smart Reloader SR100 Case Tumbler arrived. :D However, just thought I would check the assembly instruction diagram as it doesn't quite make sense. :o

My question relates to the small spring which the diagram shows as sitting under base plate (which is screwed to the vibrating table) AND under the main bolt (that goes all the way through tumbler bowl). The problem is though is that if this is correct the spring will be effectively crushed - thereby not doing anything - plus I must say that the recesed vibrating table looks like it should accept the main bolt and base plate nicely...the inclusion of the spring just messes that up. :lol:

I know it should be simple, but the diagram must be wrong...surely??? :huh:

Thanks in advance for trying to ease my frustrations!! :blush:

It is there to hold the spdindle up into position while you tighten the first bowl holding wing nut. It prevents the spindle dropping and turning round, so stopping you from tightening the wing nut and as above removes the need to tighten the wing nut excessively tight which would pull it through the plastic of the bowl eventually.

Just nip the wing nut with fingers and run the machine with no lid on, if the bowl moves/is still loose give another quarter to half turn and it will be ok..

Redfox

So are you saying that the diagram is correct? As when the baseplate is screwed in the spring will simply be held down and won't move due to the pressure of the screws.

I think I know what your talking about, but wouldn't you then have to put the spring between the first (i.e. the one within the bowl) washer and wingnut?

Many thanks for your patience! :angry:

Yes the diagram is correct, when you tighten the screws the spring will be fully or nearly fully compressed which will hold the square head in place and cause enough friction to allow you to tighten the wing nut.

No problem mate.

Redfox

Sorry mate, but by putting the spring under the base screws it makes no difference to the pressure on the wingnuts as they aren't directly connected. In the end I have screwed the base plate and spindle into the inset vibration plate and put the spring between the washer and wingnut within the bowl - that way it applies the pressure/allows movement as you describe. Plus the inset baseplate & sindle base fits perfectly into the mould on the vibration plate - to insert a spring in here would be to undo this design.

If all that makes sense! <_< Anyho...it seems to work ok so far!! :ph34r:

I didnt say it would tighten the wing nut or put pressure on them, if you read my reply carefully, it puts upward pressure under the head of the spindle, which helps to stop it turning when you tighten the wing nut inside the bowl, also it helps to reduce the chance of the bowl coming undone. The people who designed it knew exactly what they wanted it to do and put it on the drawing accordingly, I have seen similar uses like it before.

Redfox

Archived