Whats the best way to pull bullets

tulkyuk

Tulky,

Get yourself a collet puller - I've got the RCBS one - with the appropriate collet(s). Reloading Solutions do them. Does not mark the bullets.

If you do not wish to reuse the bullets, use a pliers or sidecutters in your press. Put the round in the press with the appropriate shellholder (no die, of course), lower the handle until the bullet pops up, grab it with the pliers and lift the press handle. There is a plier sort of gadget available which does the same thing. If you are handy, you could probably make one.

Peter

Sinclair do a bit of kit that looks like a set of pliers with different size plain holes for different calibers. Just raise the case in your RCBS type press, grip bullet and lower case. I get on well with that, my Kinetic hammer is a totally useless bit of kit. Never got it to work, maybe I have to much neck tension.

A

I don't see how this is a dilemma, the rounds are ether right or wrong, if they are wrong then pull them, if you have made 50 wrong i think you should really pay more attention to what you are doing, plain and simple.

now you can ether pull the bullets and save them, or you can pull the bullets and throw them away. i chose to throw mine, or i take them down the range and shoot the odd one.

if i have been reloading for an accurate round IE load developing, and find a good node early on then i will pull the few other cases.but i do not use the bullet again.

Geoff

you should not have enough neck tension on that you can not use a Kinetic hammer, you can measure what tension you have on.if i was you i would do this. i normally work on .001 .002 or .003 neck tension, mostly .003 as i don't shoot bench rest and use a mag on a 270 wsm,and do not want my bullets knocking around in the mag.

ATB

Colin

Sorted now, the lad had pulled them with pliers before he arrived at my house - he had loaded them wrong in the first place and wasn't sizing the cases correctly. a bit of time spent with him yesterday and all should be fine now.

I don't see how this is a dilemma, the rounds are ether right or wrong, if they are wrong then pull them, if you have made 50 wrong i think you should really pay more attention to what you are doing, plain and simple.

ATB

Colin

The dilemma was do I use a kinetic hammer or a bullet puller, sorry if that wasn't clear enough, and thank you for your concern.

It was Colin that's why I posted about it on here a few months back, I used the wrong primers giving me pressure signs :lol:

Now shall we stop the petty bickering and move on?

me i pay more attention to what I'm doing when loading as it is a dangerous practice, when you do not give it your full attention. :lol:

i have all day :lol: , so it left to you,

Colin :D

The easiest way is to use the kinetic hammer if you have one, you can use your RL press and some pliers (place loaded round in caseholder with no die in head, pull lever, loaded round pops thru top of press, grip bullet with pliers and then pull lever back down, the bullet will be pulled from the case)

You can get by doing this with a paper towel or j cloth on the jaws and you wont mark the bullets, if the neck tension is high, you will mark the bullets.

The collet ssystem also works well but is a marking device too.

I have both Hornady and RCBS collet pullers and if used properly they dont mark the bullets or cause any change in accuracy ( just think for a moment what happens to the bullet when it gets forced up the barrel on firing !).

I dont like the kinetics, I have one still somewhere, because if you have stressed the primer a bit when pressing it in, wacking it on the floor can and will set it off with thr resultant bad experience at least and it has happened occasionally round the world.

The Hornady is definitely the better made and easiest to use , it doesnt mark the bullets or crimp them unless you tighten way too tight, which is not necessary with uncrimped home loads.

There can be many reasons for pulling loads down, not just not paying attention, you may decide to use another powder or bullet that you find is better, I have had more than one lot of powder that was not up to spec and stripped and reloaded those rounds with new etc etc and I have never had to throw away bullets except with the kinetic puller when I used it and it mashed the point up on the bullet.

Be nice to each other!!! :lol:

Redfox

HI guys ,

Just to pass on a tip that the lads at norman clarks told me when i started was when using a kinetic hammer dont strike it on to the floor or your bench get a suitable sizes piece of wood that you can hold in your hand and strike the hammer on that small stuff is a one blow effort and even my 308 is only two strikes to undue them

i use a old broken pick axe stale with the large end faced off square

hope this is of use to some one and its quiter down stairs as well.

graham.

we all make mestakes thats why pencles have rubbers on the end :rolleyes:

we all make mestakes thats why pencles have rubbers on the end :rolleyes:

That's why pullers and hammers are referred to as the handloaders eraser.

Got myself a 'hammer' the other week to dissasemble a batch of .308 with unsuitable projectiles for the rifle after testing, then reloaded with something that is suitable.

Was also handy to 'fix' the 1st round ever after many years of handloading that ended up with the primer seated backwards...lol. Yes that one did get deprimed very gently.

Cheers

Clive

Archived