Panic in the USA?

Mack

Hi

I received this e-mail from GunsAmerica.com. It would appear our American Friends forsee doom and gloom for the Firearms trade over the election of Barack Obama. Just wait for the price hike to hit our shores, if indeed we are still able to source products from across the pond, better stock up now!

"Hi Everyone,

Not really to not take the alarmist, scare tactic route but we feel compelled to email the hundreds of thousands of casual gun people who come here every month (in addition to the hundreds of thousands of gun nuts) that the election of Barack Obama is almost definitely going to bring changes to the gun laws in the form of new taxes and hoops for gun dealers to jump through, as well as permanent bans on individuals selling firearms themselves.

The days of being able to bring grandpa's old guns to a gun show and sell them off in an afternoon are probably going to be gone within a short amount of time after President Elect Obama gets into office.

Most likely the entire American tradition of the gunshow will disappear.

There is a lot of media attention today about people in a frenzy to BUY GUNS, because they are afraid that they won't be able to get them.

But for those of us with closets full of guns we don't and most likely will never shoot, guns that we've procrastinated selling, there is a genuine danger to our ability to be to SELL THOSE GUNS OURSELVES in the future.

So if you don't want to end up losing 30% of their value because you have to transfer the gun out through a gun dealer, get moving and sell them now.

The DEMAND FOR GUNS IS HUGE. We have record traffic on GunsAmerica, and the gunshows are a zoo.

Take the time and sell your guns now, at a gunshow, on GunsAmerica, or any other legal venue.

And remember, if you ship a gun to someone, it has to be sent to a transfer FFL dealer in their state. There is no legal way to ship a gun to an individual, unless they personally are a Curio & Relic FFL holder, which only applies to old and collectible guns that are specifically on the list at the ATF website.

Some states have restrictions on individuals shipping out guns themselves as well. Ask a dealer in your state. We do not give legal advice. It is your responsability to ship guns out legally.

Also consider buying ammunition for the guns you have. There will almost definitely be a new tax coming on ammo.

That's all for now. We felt compelled to send something letting those detached from the problem know what is almost definately coming."

the general concensus of opinion, is that there is going to be another assault weapons ban, that means ar15,s etc, and several pistols , plus ak,s fal,s etc.

They are also gonna do the yanks by the back door, and crucify them on ammo prices. Guess what that means to us ?

We are jumping the gun, and producing our own parts, that we used to source in america, plus we are no longer going to hold the huge stocks of american, stocks, triggers etc, we now do.

American buisness has always been bloody hard, its gonna become impossible with that fella in power. He will castrate the gun firms, and then pass enough laws to ensure homeland trade only.

If you want anything from the states, ar15 etc....get it now....i have.

Bloody hell, the yanks are soon gonna realise what us Brits have to go through to hold and sell firearms!!!

It took nemerous phonecalls and reasons as to why i needed a second 308 on my ticket!, ive got will over 10,000 acres of shooting ground through my own means and stalking syndicates, yet the only reason they allowed it was becuase i said i would be using it at FCSA shoots! Endless!

I accept and believe in alot of our gun laws (not all, by any means) but they keep guns out of the hands of the people who shouldnt be allowed them (most of the time!!)

hi guys ,

this isnt all thats taking off membership of certain groups is booming as well but that aside we should look after ourselves first so the question i ask is

how many bullets can we purchase of americian sourcing ie siera hornady etc and hold legally if purchased in the uk.

now as far as i can work out we can purchase fmj heads to our hearts content the problem occurs with the grey area of expanding heads

now i hope someone will correct me if i am wrong

on my ticket i can aquire 300 rounds of ammo at one time and that is normally the limit that the rfds that i use work on for heads as well but as they say there is nothing to stop me going back the next day and buying 300 more and as long as i have no more than 300 rounds assembled and fireable i am within the law

now is this correct or wrong because i want to stock up if i can got plenty of primers and a couple of tubs of powder from the same batch in stock dont think lapau cases will get caught up

graham.

It is near the truth and in any case why not buy and store the surplus at the dealer if expanding, if target bullets fill your boots, just dont make more rounds than your allocation. I have over 3k at my local dealer of the ones I use and the agreement is that I give him first shout if I decide to sell them off.

Redfox

here's what one US mate had to say when I asked about price trends:

--------

Components remain high at the moment. Due to the mideast conflict easing up, there was some price reduction on imported surplus ammo in recent months. Up until the election drew near, Yugoslav and Latvian good quality boxer-primed, brass-cased .223 FMJ ammo dropped from near 50c/rd to the mid-30's and Russian steel-cased 7.62x39 fell to about 20c ea., but these prices have risen 25% or more in the last few weeks and show no sign of leveling off.

Standard commercial and bulk bullets are still quite high with Sierra, Hornady, Speer etc. 150gr .30 cal soft points around 25c ea, and only 2c - 3c less for typical Rem or Win 150gr .30 cal soft points. Just paid $2.99/100 for 800 small rifle magnum primers locally, although they're a bit less when bought in cases of 1000. One of the local stores only had 800 on the shelf and Brant picked them up for me while he was shopping around. Most primers we get in lots of 5000 from Black Hills in South Dakota but they're still $27/1000 or so delivered.

Powder contines to go up as well. For example, Varget is currently $20 - $21 per pound from Black Hills if you buy a total of 20lbs of powders in the same order. Local sporting goods store prices around here go up to as much as $25/lb before local taxes.

This has changed our buying habits. It's too painful to just pop down to the store for a pound of powder or 500 primers so as mentioned above so we mail order in large quantities where possible. For odd bullets we no longer slip into the gunstore or order up from Midway a box or two of your average Sierras or Hornadys, or for that matter even small quantities of bulk Rem or Win bullets. Instead we wait...and wait... and wait some more for one of the big sales or bullet promotions and load up all at once, which limits our choices and leaves the credit card smoking.

------

Chris-NZ

Here's the response when I suggested to my (well read) US mate that GunsAmerica could have an ulterior motive to spark panic selling:

-------------

You're on it hard. GunsAmerica is a firearms auctioning site, and have a financial interest in promoting gun sales. Smacks a bit of fanning the flames, in my opinion.

As we discussed earlier this week (yesterday?) it will be no surprise if the new Prez promotes some tightening of gun control, but I believe the general gun trading commmunity has some breathing room for awhile due to the pressing economy and foreign policy issues. If Obama isn't seen working 24/7 on the economic and global fronts, there may be immediate political repercussions. Less critical internal measures such as gun control can wait until later in his term.

------------

Chris-NZ

Archived