What size thread?

gareth

I have a 5/8 on my rem700 its big enough but a bit bigger wouldnt hurt, its puny enough looking I have another rifle with a 17x1 thread and it is much more meaty looking, to use a pes mod 17x1 is no hassle just a normal thread but beware if you go with 17x1 and plan to use a reflex mod you will need the threading done specifically for the reflex mod as there bigger metric threaded models require a extra spigot turned on to the barrel, its basically just a flat shank 20mm long behind the threading.

Its preferable and more aesthetic to thred the barrel with as large a thread as the diameter will allow.

Sendero style profiles are about .850" at the muzzle, which I recall will allow up to an M18x1mm, 18x1.5mm, 17x1mm, 5/8ths UNF, 5/8ths UNEF etc etc etc.

Its all well and good having 17mm threads cut on a gun, especially 17x1. You ding the thread and try and get a die to clean it up. It doesn,t exist. It would have to go back in the lathe. People can, and do, ding fine metric threads. A 5/8 x 18 is an industry standard thread, and all the mod manufacturers use it . Dies for cleaning up can be had off the shelf.

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I opened up a bit of a can of worms there! I'm no engineer and never realised so many different thread sizes were available. Looks like 5/8ths seems to be the sensible option going by mod availability etc. Thanks again, Gareth.

For Baldies reasons thats why I went with 5/8 ths myself.

On another rifle I changed it from 14 x 1 to 1/2 unf because its more universal and I could fit the mod to other rifles including factory screwcut stuff.

I know we are, or should be, metric but UNF will be here for a long time.

Gareth wise move stick to 5/8 ths UNF.

Archived