A speed date at the turkey farm.

6mmBR

Well the weather was crap yesterday, I went up the range to do some load development for my 6.5-284, to be greeted by mist and constant drizzle, never mind we have covered firing points.

I also had popped my fox rifle in, incase there was a break in the weather and I could get over to see Nemasis as he is only 45 minutes from the range.

It didn't look hopefull I phoned Andy at 3.30 to say it was raining and misty and I didn't think it would be worth getting a soaking. So we decided to meet anyway for a chat as I had some primers he needed urgently, so he could top up his dwindling ammo stocks.

Driving from the range to Andy's the weather had closed in, but as I went along the coast it slowly started to improve, there was a chance.

I arrived at 5.30 and it was drizzling so off we went for fish and chips and a chat. By the time we ate them the rain had stopped, game on :D

A few hurried phone calls and the mission impossible fuse was lit. We had 90 minutes to get around the turkey farm and sort out some foxes, then be back in time to meet Vern the game keeper to have a spin around the estate.

The clock was ticking :o

The gear was loaded onto the mule and off we sped, Andy setting the alarm on his mobile phone so we wouldn't over run.

I loaded up the Ackley and we rounded the corner to the muck heap, the light went on and sure enough charlie was there with his mate. Slap a 52gn Berger hit him square in the chest number one dead within 5 minutes. Neither of us fancied wading through slimmy chicken that which promotes growth and vigour :o to fetch this one back for a photo :blush:

On we pressed time was of the essence, number 2 and 3 came very quickly together, these foxes running in between the sheds and the Ackley making short work of them.

We drove on and Andy's lamp caught the eye of a fox but he had been lamped before and was off. We tried to cut him off to no avail. Andy squeaked and squeaked there was no pulling him back, Andy nudged me another fox had come into the hedgerow only 10 yards away I could see the top of his head. Luckily I remembered at that range to aim high and the round decapitated him. Number 4 in the bag and Andy's alarm was sounding our hour was up.

We had one last loop around the sheds on the way back to the yard, a fox darted from behind the sheds stopped for a brief second in front of the mule, the Ackley took no prisoners at 50 yards and number 5 went into the bag.

Well mission impossible was completed 5 foxes in just over an hour and we got to Verns spot on for 9.15

DSCF08711.jpg

A cracking start to the evening, but there was more to come when we went for a spin with Vern and the foxes met up with a 6.5-284 and 140gn A max ;)

Thanks again Andy, I'll pop up another post with part 2 of Nemasis's Fox safaris :D:D

Cheers

Dave

The "Deadly Duo" back in action. ;):o

Man, do I wish we had a turkey farm around this way, great shooting guys. If any will catch you out it will be the close ones !!!

I went out with the old man last night, called in 2 for him and he missed both...........I had the right hump with him and home we went :blush::D

Steve

Cheers Steve, I know how you feel, at the end of the night up in Verns I missed 2 on the trot.

I had been using my unmoderated rifle and swapped back to my moderated gun as we were near some buildings. I had taken the scope off so Andy could have a play with the night sight on it, stupidly in the dark I put it back in the wrong place on the weaver rail so all shots were going low due to the 20moa base, I was gutted as I would have got into double figures last night and now I've bloody well educated 2 foxes :blush: as well.

Sorry Andy mate I'm sure we will catch up with them again, perhaps i'll have to give them the 6.5-284 treatment like the other 3 we had on Vern's :D

Cheers

Dave

I could hear the mission impossible music in my head as I was reading your post dave :blush:

Steve you wouldnt like it mate,having all those charlies about , its a pain in the Ass reloading all the time :D

I am hoping to get one of the other lads off the site down in a little while (PeterL) and give him a spin round.

At the mo, I have a couple of very spooky foxes about which I am trying to sort out before I get him down but I think I can send the invite in a couple of weeks .

Its a great feeling for me when I can give someone the oppotunity to have a shot or two at a charlie if they dont have many to shoot them selves.

WAIT til you read part two of last nights adventures ,Dave had a new toy to play with ;):o

I could hear the mission impossible music in my head as I was reading your post dave :D

WAIT til you read part two of last nights adventures ,Dave had a new toy to play with ;):D

Don't keep us in suspense Dave, or is it Tom :o:o Better not tell my wife you look like Tom Cruise :blush:

Archived