barrells

swampy

guys,

I might have access to an FN mauser action. i am thinking i might build a rifle. here is the plan. Buy the action and remove the shot to shi* .30 calibre barrell. drop a short chambered .243 win barrel from the states in. ream the chamber and top it off with a timey trigger and a hogue stock. then i have a rifle i have built (well assembled anyway) and can hunt with.

i am not looking for 1000 yard accuracy. but it must be around moa capable.

How do you guys get the barrels from the usa that sell for $200 odd dollars over here?

by taking it steady and using the correct finnishing reamer and guages will I be able to do the chamber?

Thanks trops

swampy

Ive never bought a short chambered barrel before, but as its short chambered, I dont see how it can be classed as a firearm under the regs unlike a chambered barrel - chambered barrel you could potentialy fire, short chamber, you could, but cannot fit ammunition in so it will fire in a rifle action without work.

Ive had several barrels from the states - they are just steel tubes at the end of the day anyway and without export / import restrictions at present. However, some maker will ship, some will not, depends who you use.

If it was me, I would get a steel tube un chambered and do the rest myself - but am open to debate on that one as ive never worked on a short chambered barrel.

You would need to decide if it is a small ring or large ring action before you ordered as the barrel tenon is different diameter for each. (if its the mauser actions I am thinking of)

You could possibly get away with doing the job yourself with hand tool and a go guage, but I wouldnt recomend it.

A reamer, go-guage, action wrench and a barrel clamp would set you back about £250 (although you could make the clamp and wrench if you had the steel and where withall to make them and save £100 or so)

Personally, I would get a gunsmith to do the job on an unchambered barrel, then you know its 100%

Guest dasherman

I once bought a couple of long chambered barrels from a Northern UK barrel maker. I had them long chambered so I could have a one hit go at fitting them without having to have a reamer, just some borrowed headspace gauges. When I got them the chambers had over large necks and the barrels looked as if they had been chucked in a 3 jaw and the reamer fed in whilst being held in a tailstock chuck. I ended up chopping off the chambers, buying reamers and doing the job properly. Wouldnt waste the money just buy a blank, but for what it will cost you for a reamer, gauges etc that you may only use once it would be cheaper to get it done by someone who has these already.

I can see your point if what you want is a rifle "you" have assembled but if you just want a new barrel no. The pound was down to 1.47 this morning so your barrel blank/reamers are getting more expensive. Although you dont have to proof it unless you sell it dont forget to factor in the cost of getting it to proof, one off proof charge and getting it back. You cannot have it shipped back to you unless you are an RFD.

A 243 / 308 isnnt really suitable for a Mauser action due to the action size and therfore long bolt throw.

Why not just get a new, reasonable quality, chamnbered and threaded, UK sourced 270 or 30-06 barrel and screw it in - cost about £60 (Yes £60 ! and you will be as happy with it as any of the cheaper US products at much more money - the UK gun trade isnt always the 'rip off' you are told it is !). It will only need headspacing so will be a mornings work maximum. I can put you in touch with the source if you wish and they also do loads of new or as new spares for the Mauser so any worn parts can be soured equally as cheaply.

eg Mainspring £2, Bolt stop £7, Ejector £5 Mag spring £4 etc. My pricing may be a year or so out of date but not too far !)

By the way for the Mauser there is only one trigger - a 'Canjar', if you can find on - better than Jewell or any other of the aftermarket offerings. If you really want one and cannot source your own I may just know of one - but it wont be cheap. (nothing good ever is - is it?)

mry716@hotmail.com

325 unfortunately :- Canjar appear to have ceased trading.

"What I gleaned from my conversation with Mary at Canjar was a bit of a different story, however. They had no lack of people contacting them, but alot of these potential customers had purchased factory rifles in the $400 to $500 range and couldn't justify spending half the original cost of the rifle for a trigger. They just couldn't comprehend that something "Custom" would have a big price tag to it. Apparently they were somewhat baffled that they couldn't just pick it up for the price of a Dayton Traystor trigger, or less. Funny how people want to run with the big dogs but they can't seem to lift the leg high enough to pee."

I really do like the last sentence and so true !!!!!

Redfox

Red fox,

I agree, to an extent, about the big dogs. But there is a middle ground for guys that realise that they can't be the big dogs,but they know they would like to do different, try to do better on the resources they have. But most of all do it for themselves.

I am in that group.

I can't afford a Canjar trigger, but i certainly can afford a timney or a bold trigger, which is certianly better than the original.

Guys,

Thanks so much for all of the input you are giving me. please keep it up.

swampy

:blush:

325 unfortunately :- Canjar appear to have ceased trading.

I didnt appreciate trhat - my last source of supply was from http://luvtohunt.com

and having checked their site I see they have now posted a notice

http://luvtohunt.com/content/view/147/278/

but since they still seem to have a few old stock anyone interested had better do a deal quickly.

A 243 / 308 isnnt really suitable for a Mauser action due to the action size and therfore long bolt throw.

mry716@hotmail.com

I have a pair of Mausers in 308. I find they work just fine. Bolt throw? That extra 3/4" of travel you never notice while hunting and is of no consequence punching paper? You guys crack me up. :lol: ~Andrew

i have been to look at the rifle for the action. It is an FN action. I have to say that the general appearance, solidity and quality of the 50 odd year old mauser action from FN looks a lot better than the 20 year old santa barbara action i have already.

I have decided to use it in a .30-06, i love the calibre, i use it a fair amount. i will sell the parker hale and build up the mauser.

i will take photo's along the way and keep you posted.

swampy

I spoke to Midders (affectionate name for midway) on the phone about thier barrells that are on american midway

They tell me that the barrells are available in this country but only through your rfd. The cheapies $89 usd are available here but at the price of £120 gbp collect from the shop. Thats a result!

I am not using one of these, i have sourced one elsewhere. But it makes you wonder what the shileen would cost. they are $220 in america. i was quoted £650 to have one fitted the other day.

when i grow up i want a lathe

I have a pair of Mausers in 308. I find they work just fine. Bolt throw? That extra 3/4" of travel you never notice while hunting and is of no consequence punching paper? You guys crack me up. :D ~Andrew

Believe it or not Andrew most folk prefer an action sized to the relevant cartridge hence the popularity of makers such as Sako that make the small action for the 222 and 223 etc rather than Remington who dont.

Also for some of us who have had an accidental loss of sight in our handed eye and have to shoot 'cack-handed' a long bolt throw on a standard rifle may be fine for the intial round but a quick second shot tends to bring blood to the bridge of our noses.

Hence my comment and also my preference for a 25WSSM rather than a 25-06, a 325WSM rather than an 8mm Mag etc etc and a relevantly sized action for all other cartridges.

They tell me that the barrells are available in this country but only through your rfd. The cheapies $89 usd are available here but at the price of £120 gbp collect from the shop. Thats a result!

I am not using one of these, i have sourced one elsewhere. But it makes you wonder what the shileen would cost. they are $220 in america. i was quoted £650 to have one fitted the other day.

when i grow up i want a lathe

If they are unchambered then there is legally no requirement to involve an RFD here.

A

Archived