ONE ON THE FULL MOON

nemasis243

Had a call just after tea this evening from agood mate," what you doing he asked", well every time I am asked that ,it translates to "are you going lamping"?.

I hadnt planned on going out as the old back has given me some jip today, but he had told me had had seen a fox sitting in the same place the past two nights and would I go and see if i could shoot it for him.

I picked him up and drove to a small farm where he has a bit of rough shooting , I met the farmer and cleared it all with him and off we set on the quad.

We went down a couple of fields and stopped at the bottom of a long track,out to our left was a very long and steep bank ,where my mate had seen the fox.

So with the big moon up, I got the old swaro bins out and had a scan, I must say it was unbelievable it was like daylight.

I showed my mate and he couldnt believe it, anyway I had a good look and here was charlie laying down in the grass , he was a bit hard to see and it was only from the fact that he moved I noticed him.

I got the lamp and gave it to my mate , he has lamped before for me so he knew the score, I got the rifle set up and laid down ready , I told my buddy to put the lamp on and he slowly worked it across the field until he could just see the fox, I got lined up and said "OK", as the lamp dropped onto the fox I had the red dot right on his nose and sqweezed a round off,

As it was a still night there was a real loud thump as the bullet connected with Charlie and I watched as his head exploded.

"F******G H**L" were the words form my mate ,"did you see that?"

he was looking through the binos and he told me that when it hit he saw a load of bits flying off the fox,

I lasered it and it was 214yrds ,we walked up to the fox and the head was nearly completely severd from the body,those 58grn 6mm Vmax dont half do a job on the charlies,

So it was home and everyone was happy ,except the fox of course :D

11112008303.jpg

Nice write up & well done - what twist rate are you using with those 58gn'ers?

Hi OLY , its a 1-10 in a border barrelled 243 win,

I have had a few 243's and the load I use seems to work very well in all of them and also other peoples.

ITS 43grn Vit140- 58grnVmax, COL 2.602, Lap brass and Fed gold match large Primers, and they are spurting out at 3800 in a 26"tube.

Ooooooooooooooooo :ph34r:

I don't think even a really really good vet could have that lad up and running again :D

That was a good shot :)

I remember I was out lamping with a mate once. He'd a shotgun and had taken to shooting "at" them at some rather inadvisable ranges. Anyway, we were out in the hill and saw a fox working her way towards us. I set down with the caller on and waited patiently. Matey set off around a hillock well to my right with obvious intent of intercepting our fox. I got the distinct feeling a stunt was in the air. So after making sure he was well well out of harms way off out to my right I nailed our fox.

He wasn't a happy bunny. Coming back in a huff, I was about to shoot her you know (he was miles away). After the huff he told me what he'd seen. As I'd the lamp on the fox she sat for a second, I put a round through her neck. He said he saw a pinkish red cloud come out of the fox, heard a hell of a bang and saw her fall over!

No lamp shy fox that night.

Hi OLY , its a 1-10 in a border barrelled 243 win,

I have had a few 243's and the load I use seems to work very well in all of them and also other peoples.

ITS 43grn Vit140- 58grnVmax, COL 2.602, Lap brass and Fed gold match large Primers, and they are spurting out at 3800 in a 26"tube.

Cheers Andy - always good to know! :ph34r:

Archived