Game prep

As some of you may have read (http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4367&hl=) I had the rare chance to daydream today :D and one of my thoughts was...why is there so much more emphasis on the deer gralloch than that of gutting a rabbit, pigeon, pheasant etc?

Surely little rabbits (and many pigeons!) can harbour just as many bugs (if not more) than a large deer with a greater immune system etc?.

Anyone got any definative answers??

a long long time ago in a galaxy not so far away, only rich men shot and ate deer and the poor shot and ate rabbits

so as time went on and society change in the anti's favour it became that it was still just about acceptable for the poor man to shoot and eat rabbits as they were considered vermin and they ate the veg that the rich man grew

now because society change it became more and more difficult for the rich man to justify why he had to shoot deer as super market meat was considered more humane as Jo public didn't think a pig or cow was as pretty as a poor little deer with those sweet innocent glowing eyes so the rich man thought up more and more fancy words and excuses and ways to show his superior intellect

if ya cant convince em, confuse em :D

a long long time ago in a galaxy not so far away, only rich men shot and ate deer and the poor shot and ate rabbits

so as time went on and society change in the anti's favour it became that it was still just about acceptable for the poor man to shoot and eat rabbits as they were considered vermin and they ate the veg that the rich man grew

now because society change it became more and more difficult for the rich man to justify why he had to shoot deer as super market meat was considered more humane as Jo public didn't think a pig or cow was as pretty as a poor little deer with those sweet innocent glowing eyes so the rich man thought up more and more fancy words and excuses and ways to show his superior intellect

if ya cant convince em, confuse em :lol:

Top answser :lol: :lol: :lol: I like your line of thinking, you ought to be running the country :ph34r::):D:mellow:

Cheers

Neil

Not sure if those responses answer my question! ;)

Surely there has to be good reason why it's considered more of a cock-up to accidentally split the stomach contents of a deer than a rabbit? No doubt most on here will admit to accidentally cutting into the stomach contents of a rabbit (and nearly spewing due to the smell :lol: ) but then washing out the carcass and cooking as per usual - where as for deer not many would say the same thing.

had to make a second back up shot once coz the first may have skimmed the animal and scalpped it, anyways he was leaving the scene and had to do the only thing I could do if it was wounded and only had its ring piece as a viable shot so up the chocolate star fish

it did the job and the animal was down and not going anywhere, it had to be despatch when we arrived at it, it was a very bad experience and upsetting to see it still alive and having to be despatched by hand as a close range shot to despatch it was not an option as there were many rocks and bolders in the ground and not safe

like I said it was a bad experience and looking back I dont think we could have done anything else and all the decisions made were the right ones with the exception of the first mistake and that was deciding that we should shoot him in the first place

but when you go out deer stalking, you are going out to shoot deer and if you shoot enough deer bad things will evenually happen, had I had a knife at my side or own the pistol I now do for that purpose then the situation wouldnt have been as bad

anyway to answer your question, the guts, lungs, liver and heart were blown right out of the chest. the guts were a mush all over the the place, the heart was still whole and pumping.

we rushed the deer in the "veee-heercle" to the nearest clean water souce and washed of all the gut contents before skinning and washing again but six months later out comes the legs from the freezer for making biltong but the whole beast was lost and black as the ace of spades (didnt turn black until it started to defrost)

So was that just the bacteria in the gut causing the balckness to occur after defrosting? Wierd! If it is for that reason maybe it's to do with the bad bacteria in the guts of deer rather than rabbit etc? :D

Archived