.22 hornet homeloads

Dave-G

Hi guys, I've mooched around here for a while now, see a few familiar names, and being as I'm quite active on a couple of other forums have kept my postings confined to them till now so I don't lose track with my dodgy memory. Anyway, It's been suggested elsewhere that reloading hornet is cheaper than buying HMR's but thats as far as I've got.

My brother has the gear for reloading .223 and says all I'd need to get are the different dies with the relevant components. Could someone break that down a bit for me please? I don't know how many 'bits come in standard packs but assume we could get a pack that might compare with ooh say a brick of 500 HMR bullets? Average cost of them varies for me between £80 at Helston gun Cornwall - or £100 at ED Simpson, Leic's.

What say you gents?

Hi guys, I've mooched around here for a while now, see a few familiar names, and being as I'm quite active on a couple of other forums have kept my postings confined to them till now so I don't lose track with my dodgy memory. Anyway, It's been suggested elsewhere that reloading hornet is cheaper than buying HMR's but thats as far as I've got.

My brother has the gear for reloading .223 and says all I'd need to get are the different dies with the relevant components. Could someone break that down a bit for me please? I don't know how many 'bits come in standard packs but assume we could get a pack that might compare with ooh say a brick of 500 HMR bullets? Average cost of them varies for me between £80 at Helston gun Cornwall - or £100 at ED Simpson, Leic's.

What say you gents?

Hi Dave,

Cost depends on what projectiles you use. I find with the 35 grn V-Max they work out around 23p and with the cheapo speer 45 grn soft points around 17p or thereabouts.

I use H110 powder and small pistol primers.

The Lee deluxe die set is good as the collet neck sizer doesn't stretch the brass.

So it's not massively cheaper than the standard HMR ammunition but in terms of power there is little comparison and you can take the hornet out rabbiting and know you have plenty of power for foxes too out to 175 yards or so.

The hornet is no 22-250 so shot placement is key. Foxes shot cleanly with the hornet look like they've just died in their sleep. No mess no fuss.

Cheers

Clive

I'll second the Lee Dies recommendation, just make sure you have the crimp die as well (it's key to some really accurate loads).

MidwayUSA usually has some bulk/inexpensive bullets for the hornet (not sure about the UK variant). Here in the states, you can usually get 500 heads for around $55-$65. Lil'Gun is THE powder to use, but H110 (as previously mentioned) is a very close runner up. Not sure if Lil'Gun is available across the pond, but well worth considering if it is...

MidwayUSA bullets

MidwayUK Bullets

Pistol primers and crimped rounds have been the winning combination for the Hornet with newer powders...

Good luck to you!

Hi Marine,

Thanks for the info on the crimp die. I'll give that a go. I've heard from others that the neck tension is quite important in the hornet so it makes sense that the crimp will make that far more consistent. I use it on the .308 and find a full crimp gives best results. What have you found with the hornet?

I have to use H110 in mine to get the velocity from the 13 1/2" barrel on my rifle. With 12.5 grns of H110 its pushing the 35 grn v-max at 3000fps. This is over maximum so don't try this at home :lol:

It's safe in my rifle as the action is very strong and sized down from a .222

Cheers

Clive

Clive,

Yes, neck tension seems to be paramount in accurate loading for a hornet. It appears (and just a theory here) that the typically long throat on most hornets requires a crimp in conjunction with a milder primer (brissiance) that allows ignition to occur more uniformly (especially with Lil'Gun since it's burn characteristics in the hornet show a odd, non-linear pressure curve with relation to velocity).

I have one hornet (CZ) that without a neck crimp shot groups that were around 1 3/4" @ 100yds. With the identical load, only with a neck crimp, groups shrank down to about 5/8" @100, with 1/2" groups not being uncommon.

13 1/2" barrel, eh? Yeah, that's pretty short (and very illegal here in the US without an SBR permit)! :lol: I'd imagine you use a moderator on this particular rifle? It must handle well either way!

With Lil'Gun in the CZ, it'll push the 34gr'ers right around 3000fps (maybe a smidgen more :lol: ) but that is with a consdierably longer barrel.

Thanks chaps - I keep going on and off the idea of getting a hornet. I spoke with one of the Leicester firearms reception women yesterday who indicated any C/F would have to be issued with restrictions on where I can shoot it.

I dont really have a problem with that but the word used was "closed" rather than semi-open. Well I'd hardly ever use the thing in Leicester - and they're hardly likely to accept about 12 farms right down Cornwall. There is also the issue of then needing to transport two rifles on my shooting breaks about four times a year for a 600 mile round trip instead of a Quad with two barrels.

What really makes my chips soggy is that Devon and Cornwall allow fox with rimmies - and thats where I shoot most of my quarry. I get more down there in three days than three months up here.

Hi Marine,

Thanks for the info on the crimp die. I'll give that a go. I've heard from others that the neck tension is quite important in the hornet so it makes sense that the crimp will make that far more consistent. I use it on the .308 and find a full crimp gives best results. What have you found with the hornet?

I have to use H110 in mine to get the velocity from the 13 1/2" barrel on my rifle. With 12.5 grns of H110 its pushing the 35 grn v-max at 3000fps. This is over maximum so don't try this at home :D

It's safe in my rifle as the action is very strong and sized down from a .222

Cheers

Clive

Clive: Have you actually chronographed that load? That's an impressive speed from a 13.5" Hornet tossing 35 grain bullets. I was loading a 33 grain V-Max with 11.5 grains of H-110 in my CZ and getting 3269 so I certainly don't doubt your figures!

When it comes to action strength, remember: The cartridge casing is the weak kink in the reloading chain. The case always give way before the action. ~Andrew

Archived