After A hard days beating

nemasis243

Well this is the third time I have written this so its going to be brief ,every other time as I go to post it it gets erassed and its P******G me off :D

Anyway was beating Saurday and had a call from a shooting buddy of mine, Simon , he wanted to go and try and sort out a charlie that had been doing a couple of chickens at a small farm up by our local Dam.

He had spoke to the farmer earlier and he said he had a sheep carcuss that was by a huge oak tree in the bottom of the valley which is his boundery it had been there for a couple of days and there wasnt much left so hopefully charlie wouldnt be far away.

We arrived at the farm and got set up and made our way across a couple of fields ,the carcus was laying in the bottom of the valley so we approached slowley and due to it being quite brite we could make out the big tree.

We had a good vantage point so I got down on the bipod and told Simon I was ready.

He flicked the lamp on and sure enough here was charlie at the dinner table, but what really made it better he had 3 friends along as well ^_^

There were 3 on the carcus and one about 60yards behind, I pinged the furthest noe and it was a little over 300 so I said back one first, we always try and take the furthest first as the noise of the bullet strike is behind the others and 9/10 they will come your way.

I flicked the safety off and sqeezed off, the round hit him rite in the chest and he collapsed where he stood.

As I racked the bolt Simon moved to towards the carcus, one of the foxes was moving off the the left and going towards cover, but the other 2 were not fazed by the first shot they still carried on feeding.

Simon tracked the one to the left just keeping the main beam off him, "On him Simon" I said and as the beam hit him I gave a load bark, he stopped and stared straight at the light , giving me a split second to put pay to him, I racked another round and Simon went back on to the carcus one fox had gone ,he was moving up to the crest of the next ridge and I tried everything to make him stop but wouldnt look at me :D

"go to the other one Sime" ,this one had its head virtually inside the ribs and didnt give a dam about us, I sqeezed off and that was number 3 in a very very short space of time :blush:

We looked back towards the fourth and there was charlie sitting rite on top of the ridge line, he just sat there looking in our direction, we couldnt move to get a better position as the only place that we could shoot from was next doors land who dosent like foxes being shot so he was safe for now,

I tried all the tricks I knew about calling and a few times he would start to move towards us and then return to the same spot.

I could have had a crack at him but he was out at about 380yrds ,I decided I would leave him for next time and do it right with no hastle of trying to nail a spooked fox.

We collected the foxes and left them for the farmer to see, Our plans were to go back tonight and have another look to finish the job , but after a bit of a mishap late yeaterday afternoon I am laid flat out as I have popped a disc in the base of the spine, an old reacurring injury from playing silly buggers years ago. :angry:

01112008295.jpg

Did i ever tell you i want to move to Wales :D You are shooting that many fox's you are dragging them down off my patch :D:angry::blush: and i live in Scotland !!!

Well done mate, its always a rush when you take them like that.

Ads ^_^

Hi there Andy ,

Nice going Captin and very nice writeup too!!!!! :D :D

I hope your back feels better soon too!!!!!! :angry:

All the best.................

RAY.............................. ^_^:blush:

Nice write up and some good shooting.

With regards to your post, what i tend to do is write it on Word and save it every so often, then copy and paste it on here, nothing worse than spending a long time writing and clicking then it's all gone!!!

Nice going!

Top tip, write your piece on a "word" doc, then cut and paste into the posting window, that way if the server "loses" the document, you have the original on your computer to refer back to. ;)

Thats a Ruger in 204 with 39grn sierras , flat as a witches tit and hits like a brick ;)

Everything I have read says the Sierra 39gr is a more accurate bullet than the 40gr Vmax and as you say they certainly hit very hard. Hope to have my 20 in the next month or so but I have a dire shortage of foxes.

A

Everything I have read says the Sierra 39gr is a more accurate bullet than the 40gr Vmax and as you say they certainly hit very hard. Hope to have my 20 in the next month or so but I have a dire shortage of foxes.

A

Well done Nem on the foxes.

Alycidon:

On the subject of the 39gn Sierras they are THE .20cal bullet! Indeed a lot more accurate than the 40gn Hornadys and they do flatten them. Here's a picture of two foxes I took 20 days ago, one at 140 yards and the one on the top at 320yards with the .204Ruger. The second one had its lung hanging out when I went to pick it up, that is impressive performance from such a small bullet! And, indeed, flat as a witch's tit! Don't worry about the lack of foxes! Once you have your 20 you can have a lot of fun exploding crows and rabbits, so you will not notice!

DSC00170.jpg

best wishes,

Finman

Well done Nem on the foxes.

Alycidon:

On the subject of the 39gn Sierras they are THE .20cal bullet! Indeed a lot more accurate than the 40gn Hornadys and they do flatten them. Here's a picture of two foxes I took 20 days ago, one at 140 yards and the one on the top at 320yards with the .204Ruger. The second one had its lung hanging out when I went to pick it up, that is impressive performance from such a small bullet! And, indeed, flat as a witch's tit! Don't worry about the lack of foxes! Once you have your 20 you can have a lot of fun exploding crows and rabbits, so you will not notice!

DSC00170.jpg

best wishes,

Finman

Panos,

Are they the 2 stuffed foxes from your living room ?? ;)

Panos,

Are they the 2 stuffed foxes from your living room ?? ;)

oi cheeky!! I worked hard for them two, 4 hours in the field as they were both lamp shy (or should I say educated...) and my only chance of getting them was to ambush them just before dusk. And I don't stuff animals anyway! Kept their tails though ;)

take care

Finman

Archived