New scope choice

Right chaps This one is for my stalking rifle.

Iv just been looking at the new Z6 from swaro the 2.5 x 15 x 56 http://www.swarovskioptik.at/index.php?c=p...=Z6%20%2F%20Z6i# with the ballistic turret,

First question what do you lot think of the ballistic turret?

http://bt.swarovskioptik.com/?l=en

Will this be a good quick way of getting on to deer at extended rangers, or is it more of a gadget,and will not really be precise enough for stalking as the beasts will not all be stood at the pre set ranges.

Whats your lots view of this turret, all so what would the chances of having a normal conventional turret made to replace this one.?

The swaro is optically very very good and the illumination is very very good, just what you would expect from swaro, Far better than what I'm using now,(Leupold Illuminated 4.5 x 14 x 50 with M1 retro fitted target turrets) now we have just checked out this scope and the scope tracks flawlessley,and passed the box test with flying colours,

Then there is the Zeiss Victory Varipoint 3 - 12 x 56 T*

This scope again is far better than my Leupold optically, so no contest there,and has very very good illumination.and comes with or with out target turrets,if you buy one without turrets then for around £100 you can have them retro fitted including post there and back (zeiss Germany) The turrets are the conventional turrets

AO_BDC_6-24x56.jpg

The difference with this turret is it locks in place so it does not accidentally get moved wile in transit.

The dot on this model is in the second focal plain and remains the same size all the way throw the mag range,the stanchion are not they are in the 1st focal plain and get bigger as you mag in.

my personal choice of rets would be number 0

Abs_0_112.gif

or number 60

Abs_60_112.gif

Well that's my stalking scope choices what do you think?

Now for my foxing rifle

just one choice and that's the zeiss 6x24x56 Victory Diavari

Now my problem with this one is what ret to chose and will it be good for long range,?

Glass if superb and every thing about the scope is good,but will it do the job at long range,i bothered that the ret will cover small stuff when I'm stretching my legs,

it up against the 8x32x50 night force that is on top of my rifle now,and i use the NP2 DD ret that in my opinion is the best there is,but the illumination is that which promotes growth and vigour and the glass is no where as good as the oppression,and i have never got on with it,but the ret well that is the dogs danglers, i have put the dot on a magpies head at 500 + yards,and could have taken the shot,but the backstop was not there.

anyway what you lot think of this scope.?

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Col

As you know I was looking at the Z6i 15x with the ballistic turrets.The only ret that they do at the moment is the 4i which wasn`t really what I wanted so I ended up with the non B/T with this ret

BRImage2.jpg

BR Ret

I loaded my load data into the Swaro web site and the lines/dots now give me the holdover at 15x out to 550yds at roughly 50yd increments which is far greater than I`ll ever need on a stalking rifle.I personally think this`ll be quicker than using the ballistic turrets.Obviously this can be calculated for any mag you want to

As you say the Swaro quality is something else and the extended field of view really adds a new dimension

Cant comment about the Z6, never looked through one but my 36mm Ziess is at least as good as my 50mm Swaro after dark. Cant see why everyone seems to think they must have a 56mm lens though, maybe I am missing something. This new 32 mm Nightforce looks a very interesting scope for a stalker who takes an occasional longer shot. Optically their 56mm is in the same league as Swaro in my book so a tad short of Ziess.

Ladder rets in the second focal plane are only ever 'on' at one mag setting, I cannot understand why more (any ??) scope manufacturers dont do a 10x fixed power with a 1 moa ladder and target turrets. In the first plane ladder rets can get a bit thick at higher powers. I believe at present that range and dial is the best option especially now Ziess have a rangfinder Bino with some sort of ballistic software incorperated within it, I understand it shows range and drops from a pre determined zero. Shudder to think of the cost though.

A

Cant comment about the Z6, never looked through one but my 36mm Ziess is at least as good as my 50mm Swaro after dark. Cant see why everyone seems to think they must have a 56mm lens though, maybe I am missing something. This new 32 mm Nightforce looks a very interesting scope for a stalker who takes an occasional longer shot. Optically their 56mm is in the same league as Swaro in my book so a tad short of Ziess.

Ladder rets in the second focal plane are only ever 'on' at one mag setting, I cannot understand why more (any ??) scope manufacturers dont do a 10x fixed power with a 1 moa ladder and target turrets. In the first plane ladder rets can get a bit thick at higher powers. I believe at present that range and dial is the best option especially now Ziess have a rangfinder Bino with some sort of ballistic software incorperated within it, I understand it shows range and drops from a pre determined zero. Shudder to think of the cost though.

A

Hi A

i have the zeiss bins and the new HD glass is fantastic, i brought a pair for a -,and did a stupid thing, i looked through them,well i ordered a set for myself straight away,cost don't worry about how much stuff is, i don't smoke any more or drink,i was smoking 40 a day so that's a £10 saving a day,you soon have a bit in the bank for the nice things in life,o and you can not take it with you,

not used the Ballistic bit yet,but the range finder side is the best i have used,and i have used the swaro and most of them out there.the readings you get are instantaneous. here is a review buy Len from long range hunting

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/Z...ar-Review-1.php

ATB

Colin

Hi Colin,

I used to have a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the NP2 DD ret, I got fed up with the adjustment issues on the reticule illumination. I now have two Zeiss scopes, a 6-24 x56 and a 6-24x 72, both with the 40 ret. There is no comparisson between the Zeiss and Nightforce in terms of optical quality, I can use the full range of magnification on the Zeiss when lamping, the most I could use on the NXS was about 14. The reticle is easy to adjust for diffenrent illumination requirements. I was initially concerend that the dot was not fine enough for longrange shooting on small targets, however my concerns were soon put to rest and I can honestly say I would not want to use anyother reticule, its absolutely superb for lamping and I have shot quite a few crows rabits and fox at over 400 yards with no problems whatsoever.

The adjsutments on the target turrets are very precise and are very repeatable, easily coping with the adjutments required to shoot F class comps from 300 to 600 yards. I have shown my Zeiss scopes to 3 gamekeepers, pest controlers all of whom have loved it and have now taken the plunge and have their own!!

All the best,

Nick

Archived