DIY gunsmithing Day 2!

shrek

Got all the fiddly milling out of the way thismorning, then i started to take alot of metal off, finishing of all the inletting however its starting to take shape now :rolleyes:

PIC00846.jpg

still alot of hand work to to, filing out the corners etc etc, however another couple of hours and the inital aluminim block should be finished

PIC00848.jpg

The pillars should be a breeze once the lathes going (burnt out the switchbox the other day on another job....oops) so it looks like i'll need to fix that before i can carry on as the other lathe only has has a 3 jaw chuck!! And the stock is now all measured up awaiting the jig being built and and then inletting

PIC00849.jpg

Hope you guys are finding this as interesting to look at as ive found doin it so far, ive been havin great fun in the corner of the workshop, with the ipon on!!

Watching with interest please keep us updated!!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks for sharing :D ...............

All the best................

RAY................................... :D:o

Ian to be honest i would love to start building my own rilfes, however my FLO assures me that i dont have a chance in hell of ever gettin my RFD tickets, so that kinda knocked that in the head.

As for having the space on my firearms for a caliber then doing it is possible, but you should have seen the the amount of raised eyebrows when i applied for a second 308..... just cant be done with the hassle!

Alrite lads, finished off the milling the block last night and turned off the pillars thismorning, spent all day painstakingly inletting the stock, quite a nerve-racking experience!! however it all went without any mishaps, the pillar holes were bored and the later hours of thisafternoon was spent hand finishing the block and fitting to the stock. The block has now been epoxied into the stock and it sitting next to the aga to set over night.

I had taken photos of the inletted stock and the finished block before i stuck it in, however they do not want to upload for some reason, so you'll just have to take my word for it haha ;)

Shrek

Ian

the pillars are integral to the block, a very neat idea although I am sure Shrek would agree a bit time consuming and wasteful of ally from the original block (no criticism Shrek)

The one piece block looks great in the flesh and I am pretty sure it will transform the rifle once its inserted an fixed in the stock.

Looking forwards to seeing how it turns out. ;)

No worries Andy, and yes it was time consuming, however i though it would be worth a try!

Ian as Andy said the pillars are integral, the square blocks sticking out of the bottom of the block in the photos have been turned down into pillars, so ive got no pressure againts any of the wooden stock, aluminium is all the way through from the floorplate to the action, therefore giving me a soild mass to torque down on and no compression though the wood!

Just need to get me some devcon and fill in all the sides and then as ratty said, may fit a set of wheels and turn in into a rail gun ;)

Woke up thismorning to find everything set and intact, waiting for devcon from the postie. i placed the action back in and torqued it up, what a soild lump, cant wait to get it finished and on the range!!

Anyway heres the photos that i took thismornin!

PIC00858.jpg

And the integral pillars that reach down through the stock onto the belly plate

PIC00855.jpg

Just the devcon needed to fill the gaps and wrap round the sides of the action, and the jobs done!!

Archived