Wounded Deer

Orka Akinse

Fella's

Last night I shot a Roe Buck and when I went to gralloch it I noticed it had a badly swollen knee LHF to be exact.

On discussion with the Gamedealer we skinned the affected area and removed the offending lump as it looks like the knee joint (or very close to it) has took a bullet.

My questions are:

Is it worth me boiling out in the hope that there is enough calcification that withstands the boiling process so I can see what has been going on?

Has anyone done this if so any tips or advice so I don't cock it up?

Answers like "Maybe you should read a book" are not welcome cos I've had that already on another topic :blink::D

I'd say definietly boil it out, pressure wash it and peroxide it just for interest, I would use the same tecnique as for preparing a head. I've done a couple over the years and they make interesting talking points. Anything like this that increases your knowledge of deer can only be a good thing. JC

Thanks Fellas

JC Already on it with the boiling, in my excitement I couldn't wait, just need to clean it up now. Will post pics if anyone is interested?

Stagg

Glad your back & hope your well on the mend buddy, nope the antlers were fine and dandy so I think the injury was post velvet off and hardening. The skull is being boiled out soon I hope.

There is a lot of calcification and a hole clean thro the bone that is very similar to a std soft point wound i.e small hole in bigger hole out.

The buck was in fine fettle tho' with the real difference being that I'm starting to see kidney fat in the deer but this chap had none so think he was struggling a bit.

Archived