What weight bullets?

shrek

Rite lads, iv never been one to look into twist rates and bullets weights because iv never really payed much attention, however this is just a quicky for you fellas that know your stuff:

My 308 has a 24" pipe with a twist of 1-14

I have been told that this rate will only stabalise 150 to 155 gr bullets.......

Is this true, i would like to loads up some lighter bullet loads just for messin about long range varminting, will lighter bullets however stabalise on such a slow twist?

Or should i just stay with my 155 scenar loads for paper and gong, and shoot vermin with the 6BR?

Hi Shrek,

According to the table that I have, that 14" twist appears to be fine for 155 gn bullets, but it depends on their length. The Greenhill Formula requires calibre and length, but not weight.

As for the lighter ones, say 130, 125, 110 etc, they will be stabilised. The twist required will be slower than 14" so you'll be ok.

The rule is the longer the bullet(which usually means heavier), the faster the twist required to stabilise.

There will, I'm sure, be others on this forum who are more knowledgeable than myself who will be able to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Peter

Silent that sounds about right actually, i got a super accurate load with vit N150 which would have been doing about that speed, but the ballistics data said that it wouldnt be super sonic past 800?

Thats why i used N140 and am now pushing it at 2940, which is equally accurate and still super past 1100 yards (According to my data)

Archived