Urban Fox Control

Guest PeteR

Guest PeteR

Hi All,

Was round at my Brother-in-Law's house on Saturday. He is being over-run by Foxes and thinks there are between 10 and 12 rooting around in his garden (not a big garden either). I personally saw 7, 5 half grown cubs, the vixen and another adult.

He desperately wants rid of them - Council told him they can't (won't!!) do anything about it. I can't use my own rifle (243) etc. I have also told him that even if he gets rid of one lot a new lot will soon move in - easy access to food from bins, shelter and bunny-huggers feeding them.

Any ideas for getting rid of some/all gratefully received.

Regards

PeteR

Check the law but I think as far as the bullet doesn't leave the property you are within your rights to shoot them. I had a problem with a a pair of dogs from my nextdoor neighbough that kept gettign in and killing my bantems. A police oficer came to me and guested I was a shooting man and he told me that I was in my right to shoot them on my land, he also told the nieghbours this and I never had anymore problems. Funny how things turn out 6 years later the copper joind a syndicate I was in. I asked him weather what he had told me at the time was correct and he said as long as the round or the animal doesn't leave my land it is leagal. But don't take my word for it, there was a program on the TV a few months ago where this guy was using a .22 rimfire to dispatch foxes in someone's garden. The guy was shooting from an upstair window so the bullet had a very good back stop and this was in a town house, not sure what town may have been London.

if you have an open ticket and the gun you use is on your ticket for fox you can use whatever gun you want,but if you are surrounded by anti's you'll need to be discrete about it.

I guess the most discrete way would be a cage trap but the fastest would probably be the 22 rf,10/12 foxs the garden must be a fair size and there must be a large population of fox's in the area

Guest PeteR

Thanks for all the responses lads.

Will try and set up a rimfire ambush in Morningside in Edinburgh - results to follow in due course.

PeteR

The chap who did the London rimfire excersise got the owners to feed them every evening with dog food in the exact place he was going to shoot them from the upper window ( on the lawn) for several days. He then shot the adults, vixen then dog quickly after her. All this is as I would do it too, spot on tactics, If you shoot any of the cubs or the dog first the others will clear off and keep out of site for good, it is very important to get the dog and vixen together and shoot her then him quickly one after another, the cubs will hang round them whilst you shoot them afterwards, even the next night for the last one or two if you put food out again, but better to get the lot in one go.

Whoever does it needs to be good and quick on the shots on the adults, check the rifle at the same angle and distance before hand so that your sure of the aim and use a semi auto for quick second shots without re-aiming needed ( he used an Anschutz semi auto in the programme) and go for heartlung shots not silly head shots, which will put them down on the spot and get the job done. 22Rf subs are more than adequate at this sort of distance and using a moderator/ silencer will mean the neighbours dont even know its happened, mine didnt when I removed one from my garden. :rolleyes:

Redfox

If you can't head-shoot a fox 15 or so yards away with a .22, it's time to pack up!

I strongly disagree with heart/lung shots on garden foxes, head shots only for me. The last sort of publicity we need is the sort generated by a chest shot fox bolting then dying in a pool of blood on your neighbours' patio.

I never had a good experience with

a 22lr heart lung shot, they either jumped up

or rolled over but always ran away. At least a bit.

And that was with stingers at max 50yds.

I got so fed up i sold the thing. From the window i'd

also head shoot em.

edi

Number 1 priority is safety, even more so in urban areas! It's not a question of if you can't make a head shot at 15 yds you should'nt be doing it, is it safe to do it? .22 ammo is one of the worst for riccochet and I for one have heard a nasty little zing whizzing away into the night on headshot rabbits, I would go for boiler room shots if safe to do so.

PNSE, I agree looked at video again and it was the 1416.

As to the head shots, there are more bungled head shots at close range than further out, but it is the target size and the fact that a miss or wounding shot will bring all the proceedings to an end and no second chances with the others. I have shot many foxes with the rimfire and at that distance the impact even with subs is high enough to put them down. If you feel the need with a semi you can double tap in a split second, but which ever used the fox is a dead fox with no heart ( it usually takes out one fornt leg too)and you have the opportunity to take the dog fox as well, which guarantees that you will get the cubs too.

At that distance the subs have 85ft lbs energy the fox on average weighs around 14 - 18 lbs, look at the optimum game weight tables and you will see it is more than enough energy for a kill.

All animals are capable of moving more than twice as fast as humans in reaction time and they can move their head in the time it takes to pull the trigger, never mind the bullet flight time as well, result a complete cock up, remember they are probably 15-20 yds away and can easily hear you breathing never mind pushing the safety off and likely to react to it.

I agree with VI he has it right, never mind the macho "I can shoot the balls of a gnat at 300yds" crap.

Redfox

It's almost impossible to judge a situation ahead,

mostly one changes tactics or approach to adjust to the current

situation. If the animal is nervous and jumpy the head

is out, but if the situation is calm light is ok and seems right,

then why not. Out in the field i don't have the need to head

shoot anything and certainly not for show off, but if

the only thing that shows out of the grass is the head

and my rest is good and it seems ok then i go for it.

edi

Archived