Weekend of sport in Norfolk

I managed to get Friday off work and me and a mate headed up to Norfolk for a bit of shooting/stalking.

Thursday night we were out lamping for bunnies with the rimfires off the top of the Landy, we ended up with 52 of the little bleeders.

Friday morning came and three of us headed out about 5.30am.

I was dropped off close to the highseat and my two mates went out for a stalk on foot.

There was a feed hopper on the ride my seat overlooked that the Munties had been hammering lately and the keepers wanted them thinning out.

I had been up in the seat for about 20 mins watching a young spiker roe buck(also hammering the hopper but, roe are off the menu on this estate at the moment) when the first Muntjac arrived from the left ( a young buck in velvet) and began to trot across the ride.

I gave him a whistle he stopped with his front leg raised and I sent the 120grn nosler on its way from the swede.

He dropped where he stood and I was off the mark, time for a smoke to celebrate.

Another half hour past with various roe does and kids appearing and quite a nice 6 pointer roe buck, I was enjoying watching them through the bins when out popped muntie number two, a doe who was closely followed by a tiny muntjac fawn.

They fed for a while on the ride and then trotted off just before the second buck showed up from the right.

Again I gave him a whistle, he turned, paused and the swede did its work. He ran into the wood and I heard him drop.

I was sitting enjoying a second cigarette when I heard something behind me. I slowly turned around to catch a glimse off a mature Muntjac buck, there was no shot availible as he was too far into cover so I decided to wait it out.

It seemed like a long time but, I bet it was no more than 15 mins when he broke cover in front of me.

Again a whistle was his undoing and number 3 was in the bag.

I saw another couple of does but, I was not able to observe them for long enough so I left them be.

Then my friends arrived in the Landy with a Fallow sorel and a Muntjac buck in the back.

All in all a really enjoyable morning.

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01372_edited.jpg

Friday afternoon we spent shooting pigeons I ended up with 34.

Friday night we stalked and saw fallow does only.

Sat morning we headed out to meet another friend of mine who had promised us a go at a Red stag.

We arrived at 5.30 and were taken to the high seats, saw a few hinds but, no sign of a stag.

We were invited to try again Sun morning. My friend headed to his high seat over looking a sugarbeet field and I headed out with a mate to a seat in the woods.

We had been sitting up for about 45 mins when we heard the first roar and that sure got my heart racing.

The roaring was steadily getting closer for about the next 10 mins when the first parcel of hinds appeared to our left and began feeding on the ride.

The roaring drew closer and with that louder and my heartbeat got so fast it felt like it would burst out of my chest.

Steadily more and more hinds appeared and the roaring continued.

It was so loud now I knew he would soon be out in the open, I tried to steady myself and get the rifle into a comfortable position.

The Stag then decided to join his hinds and came out onto the ride about 80yds to my left, he gave one hell of a roar, the fog of his breath hung in the air as I placed the cross hairs behind his shoulder.

I slowly squeezed the trigger and the 156grn gamehead hit home.

The Stag stumbled as I realoaded, I could see the blood spilling through the scope and he began to spin around kicking at the turf with his hooves.

It seemed to happen in slow motion, blood was now pouring from his nose and mouth and his legs began to give way.

He stumbled back and crashed into the cover as the life left him.

We sat and waited for a good 15 mins and I had a smoke to calm my nerves.

We made our way over to the strike to see a good quantity of thick dark blood and no more than 10yds away, there he was.

DSC01375.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01380.jpg

This was my first Red Stag and I have to say it's something I will remember for the rest of my life, a truely incredible experience!

What a weekend

All the best

Moses

Archived