243Ai velocity probs Felling a need for speed!:-)

skany

Hi Guys

Im not getting the velocity i wanted or was expecting out of my 243Ai with vit150 & the lighter heads so was wondering if anyone has had much luck getting good fps from 65-75g bullets "up there" so to speak!

I can get 65g Vmax out at 3775 but im getting the odd preasure sign & my primer pockets are geting a kicking!

ive seen some awsome loads on the net with various powders(varget h414 )that are near 3800 with 75g Vmax where i cant get a 70g nosler past 3634 with out preasure signs!

no problems with acuracy but would like a bit more poket!

had sub 2" at 500yds in a breaze yesterday & 1" at 400 witnesed but like the idea of driving the 75Vmax fast due to the higher BC

so if any of u Ai or quickload users have few powder choices i could think about that would be great!

cheers Andy

Cheers Andy

accuarcy kills not speed,just dial in

I have given you my load a dozen times now it runs a 75 gr V max at 3725 FPS I did run a few 68 gr Bergers through and got 3850 ish

& thats the one im using pete!

no where neer that speed mate for me!

as tested on various chronos now!

cheers Andy

well mate I have no idea have you checked your scales ?? what chrono are you using ? plus a different make of barrel can effect the FPS

Hi Pete

yes mate all checked & double checked against other hardware(like i said getting preasure signs also so couldnt add anymore)

both chrons tried are very similar readings & exball tallys up nicely with those readings now(thanks to Varminter aka ray & his chrono chrono!)

altho i have no idea what make they were! altho im sure rays knows !:-)

I know acuracy kills but i want both as im a fussy bugger!lol

I know its not the end of the world or owt i just wanta longer range load !

Going by your experiances with ur 75g load u want more too!idd be happy with the speed ur getting tho:-)

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy ,

Was a pleasure to meet you yesterday buddy!!! :ph34r::)

I think , as you seen yesterday , that those loads a very accurate with a low extreme spread!!! :D :D

The old saying " if it aint broke dont fix it " comes to mind!!!!! :D

Elevation is usually not a problem , but wind is !!!

So either run a heavy for caliber bullet with a high BC but at not so fast velocity , or run a light fast load with more wind drift at range - go figure!!!!

Jamies 300 win mag running 210 Bergers at 2850 fps are truly awesome at long range!!!! :D;)

So is Daves 6mm BR running 87 V-max at 2900 fps :D;)

All the best...................

RAY...................................... :D;)

I see no mention of barrel length, that will make a small difference.

Run the velocities through some ballsitic software, I would not have thought another 200fps would make much difference. Either will instantly kill anything you hit in the right place. From the sound of it you have found an accurate niche so I would stick with it. You could of course run a lighter bullet but that would be more wind affected.

A

Hi Andy ,

Was a pleasure to meet you yesterday buddy!!! :D:lol:

I think , as you seen yesterday , that those loads a very accurate with a low extreme spread!!! :lol: :lol:

The old saying " if it aint broke dont fix it " comes to mind!!!!! ;)

Elevation is usually not a problem , but wind is !!!

So either run a heavy for caliber bullet with a high BC but at not so fast velocity , or run a light fast load with more wind drift at range - go figure!!!!

Jamies 300 win mag running 210 Bergers at 2850 fps are truly awesome at long range!!!! :lol::D

So is Daves 6mm BR running 87 V-max at 2900 fps :lol: :lol:

All the best...................

RAY...................................... :D:lol:

Hi Ray

you to mate:-)

a 65g Vmax at 3800 has better wind & drop at 500 then a 87g Vmax at 2900fps so i keep thinking a 75g at pace would be jsut the ticket!:-)

come on i just want to have my cake & eat it!:ph34r:

ive got some varget & h414 so may load up a few for kicks

Andy

Ahh now theres an idea,mines a 12 but have you checked yours as they didnt send you the wrong barrel to start with maybe the twist is also wrong

Yes mate they sent me a 1-12 .22 first time lol

this one is correct as i checked that a while back when i first chronoed the loads

its the same length as urs at 25" as well!

aint guns weird!

Andy

Yes mate they sent me a 1-12 .22 first time lol

this one is correct as i checked that a while back when i first chronoed the loads

its the same length as urs at 25" as well!

aint guns weird!

Andy

i m using 40 g vaget with an 80 g nosler and only getting 3250fps if that helps at all

"...but like the idea of driving the 75Vmax fast due to the higher BC"

Are you sure the BC get's higher the faster you drive it? Or did I misunderstand you?~Andrew

yep u misunderstand me! lol

I like the idea of the higer Bc bullet at a higher speed as it would be less afected by wind ect

not that the bc would get higher the faster it goes!

had a look on anglefire and theres a couple of loads with h414 & varget that are up at 3800 ish with the 75g bullets so im going to try them out!(working up of course!)

Andy

I figured I'd misunderstood you. You would be surprised, however, to learn how many people think that every bullet's BC is a "constant" or worse, that the BC gets higher the faster the bullet travels. These folks have obviously never played badminton! ~Andrew

"...but like the idea of driving the 75Vmax fast due to the higher BC"

Are you sure the BC get's higher the faster you drive it? Or did I misunderstand you?~Andrew

what is this angelfire of what you speak please as i might get some info on there as well

thanks mark

yep u misunderstand me! lol

I like the idea of the higer Bc bullet at a higher speed as it would be less afected by wind ect

not that the bc would get higher the faster it goes!

had a look on anglefire and theres a couple of loads with h414 & varget that are up at 3800 ish with the 75g bullets so im going to try them out!(working up of course!)

Andy

sorry iu meant this angelfire lol

Andrew please explain,

I presume you are saying the shuttlecock BC gets worse (less) the harder you hit it?

Loosely so, yes. Some things travel through the atmosphere better at slower speeds. My favorite example is to imagine standing up with your arm outstretched straight out to the side, palm facing forward. Move your arm in a ninety-degree arc so it now is straight out in front of you. Easy! Now do it while traveling at 70 mph on the back of a motorcycle! Considerably more resistance.

One of my favorite Hornet bullets is a 33 grain V-Max designed for Remington's 22 WMR loading. At 2100 fps the BC is .130 but at 3200 fps the BC is a measly .088. This bullet does not play well with air at high speeds. As you know, most bullet's BC varies with velocity so there is nothing new there. This is the reason that I actually field test my loads for actual BC before plugging numbers into ballistics programs.~Andrew

Cheers Andrew,

Like you said I think most people on here would realise the BC is not a constant but never noticed in the tables etc the value go down as the speed goes up. Good expanation and I can see where your going.

no one has mentioned primers yet, are you using the same as Pete ?

Gran.

Hi

Im using cc br primers i belive pete is using feds?(maybe wrong here)

can this make that much diff to preasure & fps?

Cheers Andy

Hi

Cheers Andy

Thats a question I'll leave to the more experienced to verify but if you are using a different component

its a possibility thats where the variation is stemming from.

Gran

Hi

Cheers Andy

hi skany

there are a lot of different things it could be.

primers do ignite at different temps,and burn longer or shorter.

all so as i think we have said before, you don't have the same type of barrel as Pete, all barrels wile being chambered have to have different size bushes fitted to the end of the reamer,this is because the internal measurements of the different barrel manufacturers are all at different tolerances, just because it says 6mm on your barrel don't mean your barrel is exactly 6mm,

this is one of the reasons you can not take someone else's loads and just use them,and y you have to work up safely.

don't forget accuracy kills,not speed, you will be dialing in any way so 1 MOA(or what ever it is) more will not make a difference

ATB

Colin ;)

Archived