About to go for my first centrefire....

Snelly

Hi,

I am looking at a rifle on Tuesday with a view to possibly purchasing it. It is a .243 Remington 700 SPS action (originally bought in April of this year) but it has been dropped in to a McMillan stock and had the standard trigger replaced with a CG trigger. It is screwcut and also comes with Leupold quick release rings. It also comes with a Meopta scope (Artemis 2000 3-12 x 50). It seems like a bargain to me at £895 for the complete outfit.

I suppose my questions are: Is it the bargain it seems? What should I look out for when I inspect it? What further questions should I be asking?

And sorry to Dave at SYSS as I thought I would be going to you for something similar but this seems to tick all my boxes and is substantially cheaper - trust you understand!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Snelly.

Have you looked at the Howa range? I have just got a stainless/synthetic 243 with wildcat mod and I am really impressed by the quality and finish for the money. The rifle grouped well straight after breaking in and zeroing and the Niko scope is ok for the money. My only dislike is that the trigger is set very heavy so I will have a go at adjusting it some time. It is nice to buy new as you know the history of the rifle and the treatment it has had,.

Should be in decent nick as it was only bought originally in April this year. Thanks for the reply though.

Snelly.

Its no problem at all Dave. :P

However mate, have a good look at it...even only new from april, it could have had plenty down it.

Its ridiculously cheap for what it is...that would ring alarm bells for me personally.However, if it proves to be shot out, as panther says, its still a bargain for the rest of the bits, and get it rebarrelled.

Sounds like the bargain of the centuary!

Decent stock, decent action, very good trigger and scope all for less than £900!

If the barrel does turn out to be shot out (unlikely if less than 12 months old - 3000 rounds is a lot to shoot in a year) then you have an excellent base to use for rebarrelling into anything you want (providing its a short action and .473" bolt face).

I agree with Baldy....that does sound cheap.

Which is why I suggested tryin to find out the round count....

Might help to tell us which Mc stock too...

As soon as ya say Mc stock everyone conjures up a mental image

of their personal fav.....tho their are little differances in the prices.

and by the time ya add this or that in for options on it ....it still works out to

be a good chunk of change.

Either someone seriously doesnt know what they have or had or its a deal of the century.

They do happen.

Could be as simple as the guy needin fast cash...or

maybe the previous owner couldnt get his fav ammo recipe to work and grew

frustrated...Ya never know.

308Panther

My understanding is that the bloke who bought it in April had the trigger changed and got a new stock. He then decided to buy a second custom 6mm BR rifle from the same shop and used the Remmy as a trade in. The shop allowed £895 on the rifle as a PX and that is what they want back for it. Maybe they want to keep their stock turning over and make the better margin on new kit?

Stock is a McMillan A3 I believe. http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-t...ock-list.php#a3

I will definitely check the shot count.

THanks for the help guys. I will let you know what happens next week as I am going to get my hands on it then. Fingers crossed it is okay. If it is a good fit and appears sound, then I think I will go for it.

Hi,

Quick Update....Had a look and didn't go for it. Not quite right for me. Turns out it was too good to be true. At least in my view anyway!

Thanks for the advice though. Really helpful.

Snelly.

A couple of things but the main one was how the action had been put in to the stock. A bit rough around the edges. I am sure it would be fine but it would bother me as I like things to look 100% right. I don't wish to be critical of the gun or the shop who are sellng it. I am sure it is perfect for someone - just not me.

Archived