Cheap fixed x4 power airgun scope advice for newbie.

chaz

Hi folks.

I'm after some advice regarding a 'first' cheap x4 mag (or near) fixed power scope for a young 12 year old lad who's taken an interest in shooting. He's my God-son, and a good lad. He's saved enough money to buy a used SMK 19, which he's had for a while now. And considering his dad bought it 'blind' it's in good condition, and has clearly not been used very much. It chrono'd at around just over 11 ft/lb with Premier .22 pellets. I've taken him out numerous times before he even had the gun, (that now lives with me) to learn some field craft. And he's doing really well! He's also doing really well with open sights out to 25 yards. (young eyes... :) ) Certainly well enough for hunting. He's also seen me shoot and gut rabbits, and a few pigeons. Although, he 'doesn't want to shoot an animal yet' ,and i don't want to push him... He may always be a paper puncher. But even if he does i'd be happy just to have kept him in the sport! Considering the amount of bad press we seem to get!

He's used my pcp airgun a few times, and has now mentioned wanting to move on to a scope.

And i'm happy that he's put in enough practice to warrant moving on to a scope. I did have a basic Nikko? x4 by something with mounts a while back, but i gave them away to another forum members lad learning to shoot.

Can anyone recommend a bottom of the range scope, along the lines of say a basic, 4x40 preferably with mounts?? There's no hurry, as he needs to save a few more quid....

I just don't want to recommend something that breaks on a spring gun, and Luis lose faith in me...

Hence the request for advice on a 'best buy' type bottom end, or even a used one a member has for sale. I don't want to confuse him, so just a basic as can be would be good! Preferably more than a 20 objective lens though.

Any constructive advice appreciated...

Cheers.

Chaz.

Chaz.

If he can hit targets at 25yds with an air rifle does he need a scope at the moment.

He will learn more about shooting with open sights than with a scope and save getting the scope until he decides to get a more powerful rifle ,just a thought ???

Chaz.

If he can hit targets at 25yds with an air rifle does he need a scope at the moment.

He will learn more about shooting with open sights than with a scope and save getting the scope until he decides to get a more powerful rifle ,just a thought ???

Hi Tony,

It's a fair point. I suppose i'm trying to keep his interest going with new things. Not that he's lacking in interest to be fair...

It'll be a while before he will progress to anything more powerful. He mentioned a scope in passing and i suppose it may be a little bit of me also wondering how well he would get on at further distances with the aid of an optic. His enthusiasm is a little infectious, which is nice. :) And reminds me of the days when i was a little older than him and my mate used to 'borrow' his brothers BSA Meteor and we had some great times shooting debris floating down the river Avon, a few hundred yards or so our houses. And great to see when you missed when the pellets splashed in the water.

Any sign of the parcel yet?

Wasn't sure of dovetail size but can possibly sort one out too.

Hi Saddler, and yes i had it in person today. You're a gent! So thank-you very much. I also managed to find enough parts of different correct size mounts to fit the scope/air rifle too, so an even better result!

I also had a very generous offer from Banus02, and accepted both in case of a problem...

Once were sorted and Luis is progressing well with what scope suits him best, the unused item(s) will be passed on to a 'friend' who shoots and helps out at a local sub 12 ft/lb outdoor range, i believe they call 'FTR'. Steel shaped rabbits, Crows and the like...? near my town. Or failing that, on to Wedgenock Rifle and Pistol Club, in Warwick.

Thank-you both for your help and generosity.

Cheers.

Chaz.

Archived