257 Weatherby Magnum

Right lads ,

Have been " toying " with the idea ( in the future ) of a 257 Weatherby Magnum!!!!

It shall be used for the larger species of deer and some long range fun too!!!

I know they have been noted for alot of freebore due to the design of the caliber , i was thinking of a custom tube with less freebore / but not too much that it reduces case capacity too much!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is................

Have any you guys had much to do with this caliber??????

Thanks in advance.......................

All the best...........................

RAY................................................ :D :D

Never shot this Weatherby version, but have played with its bigger brothers :D The main problem is brass availability and choice - lack of it. The other problem with all the quaterbores is the lack of really good B.C. bullets. Personally I would look at a 6.5 wildcat, for the previously mentioned reasons. Maybe an allen magum or similar if you want something fast!

Hi Captain, nearly went down the same lines some years ago until I was give the price of the cases :D , If I recall ray they were something like £1.60 a case .

I also was told by an American guy who had had a few over the years , that you had to load them fairly hot to get them to work as you would like.

Would this give you much over the 284?

Speak to you later cheers And.

Ray

I think Northerchris and Vermincinerator have been looking at building one of these (or have built one)

Personally, I wouldnt bother for the very reasons the guys have said (brass price / quality, lack of selection of high bc .257" bullets)

The long free bore on the Weatherbies is to prevent pressure spikes (I think) - not condusive to long range accuracy as the bullet could be .100" off the lands......

If you want something "hot" why not 6.5mm x 06 or a 7mm magnum either WSM or RM - at least there is quality brass and a large selection of bullets available in either calibre.

That being said a standard 25-06 will still reach out accurately to 600 yds + with 117, 120 and 100 grain bullets (I know, ive got one)

:D

Ray

just to add to my last, and following a post in another thread from Swampy;

I looked for Weatherby Brass (made by Norma) at this site in the States - 20 rounds of 257 Wthby - $29

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Wby_Brass.htm

Varminter,

If I remember rightly, all Weatherby brass is made by Norma - my 416 and 300 certainly is. Perhaps Reloading Solutions can get some for you. Try Aftab, he's pretty clued up on these things. Norma is good quality brass but it might be a bit pricey, but I see no reason why it should be anything like $29 for 20!. The word "ripoff" comes to mind. However, as previous posters have noted, the range of bullets is limited.

Peter

As always lads ,

Thanks very much for your insights to this caliber!!!!! :D :D

Ronin , i think i shall keep the long range stuff for the 6.5-284 when i get my new rifle next year!!!!! :D;):D

Thanks again lads and all the best......................

RAY................................. :D;)

Ray

I think Northerchris and Vermincinerator have been looking at building one of these (or have built one)

Thats correct Andy, we built one for a buddy earlier this year and the owner tells me that its a real hammer.

The build used a Borden Timberline action mated to a 1-10 twist Lothar Walther stainless fluted barrel topped off with a Vais muzzle brake.

This sat in a Mcmillan Remmy Varmint stock, fired by a Jewel trigger, rounds fed from a Kwikclip detchable mag system.

Chris bought some factory ammo and if i can remember it came in at £2 a pop, chrono tests showed 3650fps from the 120grn factory load.

Ian.

Archived