Close range light deer rifle

ejg223

We sometimes need to shoot sika in heavy cover, or plantations.

I was always wanting to make a handy lightweight rifle that shoots well off the shoulder.

22-250 Howa 22" sporter with 3-12x50 S&B flashdot. I made a ultra light glas /carbon stock

for her in tac green duracoated. With a 6x42 complete rifle without bipod weighed 3600 grams.

What a difference after foxing all year with bipod, moderator and heavy stock.

edi

DSCN1844.jpg

DSCN1849.jpg

Hi Edi

rifle looks great, for close quarter Sika battle I had in mind a 45/70 with 500 grain slugs.

I was shooting a Marlin lever action with an ecotech sight, that was an absolute hoot to shoot, pretty accurate out to 150 as well.

How have you lightened the stock (without giving your secrets away)

I once wanted a lightweight deer rifle to compliment a cupboard full of heavy ones and went for a Rem model seven in 7mm'08 but I didn't keep it long because the accuracy just wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, it was plenty accurate enough for wild deer shooting but because I was used to better I looked down on it and rarely took it out. Now my 'wild' deer (as opposed to 'park' rifles used mainly for head shooting) is a Sako 75 SS in .308 win with a Swarovski 3-12, just the fact that it is un-moderated makes such a difference to the weight and balance. That looks like a great bench rest that you have their Edi. JC

Ronin, the stock that you worked on weighed around 1100 gr.

This one came out of the mould at around 730g finished with

buttpad 800 isch grams. Mainly the materials make it lighter,

much more carbon in the action area, less glass. The rest of the filler

a bit lower density. It's easier to make em heavier and stronger than lighter

and just as strong.

Caliber is way off, should rebarrel to 20" 308, but then I'd need another fox rifle

and I have a 308 already. My two sons will also need rifles soon.....

JC,

I havn't much experience shooting this rifle without the moderator, so I might need

to find a load it likes. With moderator it shot very well, even down to 1/4".

I think an accurate light rifle is the thing to have. Many heavy accurate rifles out there already.

I made a little mini moderator for my 308 which weighs around half a pound and is very short and

doesn't upset the balance much, but takes a bit noise away and shoots three loads to the same spot.

My friends bench is 4" concrete on concrete foundation. Hasn't fallen over yet.

edi

Looks very nice Edi and it makes a difference when you have to carry a lot.

Now a nice ruger no 1 in 45-70 or 308 might just be my ticket, not many runners with those either. :lol:

Redfox

I just like ruger no 1s :P

Thanks Red,

30 cal is the limit here, pity. I'd love a 338 Federal, now that would be a nice compromise.

edi

Archived