Hi guys. I'm starting to get in to this Foxing lark now, and need a call. I don't want to get some posh electrical job, just something I can carry around with me in case I feel the need to use it. Are these WAM calls much good? A mate of mine has one and we called in a couple of foxes with it, but I'm after some more experienced views. I figured here was a good place to ask! I tried a search, but it's only three letters long and doesn't work ;)

mine worked ok last night and got me a big dog fox -

Have you heard one in the field ? They are quiet and perfect for close calling and windless nights. If the wind is blowing hard use another call. I have loads but usually take 2 or 3 - good to have a few options as sometimes they just prefer a different pitch.

My WAM gets regular use

Cheers

AndyCM

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the link Oly posted and ordered one of those, and I'll probably pick up a WAM aswell. I've heard the WAM used in the field, but the volume was the bit that bothered me a little. I was thinking that in poor weather they may not hear it! On a still night from what I've seen they work very well, but then the weather is pretty all over the place recently and it's been quite windy at times. Neither type is expensive, so I'm thinking I'll buy both. It doesn't hurt to change now and again, I don't want the Foxes getting used to the one call and not reacting to it! Are there any other cheap calls I should look at?

I've got one from Attleborough Accessories that works well. It's a length of rubber tube with a mouthpiece one end and a reed the other (with a clip for your jacket collar). You can alter the noise produced by blowing harder or cupping the reed end. I like it because it leaves both hands free and it was cheap. I also use a Raspy Coaxer again made of rubber which you squeeze (like an accordian), this makes a truly awful racket like a distressed hare and a crying baby but works really well on big open fields and windy nights. I tried a couple of those Primos calls that you put in your mouth against your tounge and palet but couldn't get the hang of these. Also I must say, that blowing/sucking on your hand is a very effective way of calling, well worth practicing this as you can't forget/lose your hand. Good luck, Gareth.

Now there's a plan, con some other unsuspecting fool into picking it up instead! I'll remember that!

On another note, my Fox caller that Oly suggested arrived today. What a quality service.

Archived