MultiRadialRifling - cleaning

gruntus

Hi All,

I have a Sabatti STR that has multiradial rifling.

The upshot is that as there is no hard edged rifling for when pushing the patch through getting a good tight fit can be a chore.

I typically have to feed the patches through the bore and give them a helpful twist to prevent the patch riding over the lands.

Any thoughts ideas and previous experience welcomed.

All the best

G

Gruntus,

Not physically seen the rifling you have but 'assume' it is similar to say a Glock or Metford rifling i.e. Effectively 'smooth'?

Try wrapping the patch round a brush as opposed to a jag perhaps?

Or go to the felt wad type of cleaning systems like VFG: http://www.waffenpflege.de/en/home.html

Brgds Terry

Thanks for the replies Terry and George,

Terry, yes, the rifling is effectively smooth.

I use a Bore Tech Proof Positive Jag and have been cutting 4x2 into 2x2 up to this week. I use KG1 Carbon Cleaner and KG 12 copper remover.

This week I bought some Pro-Shot 1 1/2" Round patches and they made a big difference with the cleaning today, you can feel more contact in the bore and it actually tries turning the cleaning rod now as it travels down the bore.

George, I've used KG2 Bore polish which (i think) is the same as the Iossa paste. Sabatti recommends using bore paste every 100 rounds (if i remember correctly, will need to check) as it is alleged to improve the bore. * I've been warned off using any abrasive pastes too much on traditional rifling previously due to potentially ruining the rifling edges.

Would also be keen to know what people do in their cleaning routines (how many passes/strokes of the rod with carbon cleaner and also copper removal).

Thanks again for your replies and all the best.

G :)

Grintus

Asking about people's cleaning methods, material etc. is up there with discussing religion and politics - be warned it will range from cleaning the snot out of the barrel after 5 rounds so you can see the dendrites to just storing the rifle with a tin of 3-in-1 in the same room - with all points in between the two extremes! :)

KG gets good comments, I like the Wipeout products, Robosol, C2R, lots of good solvents out there.

Do whatever works for you and how you use your rifle, a bore scope is the only way to see if the barrels clean, but on the other hand does the barrel have to be spotless to work?

One thing though re. mild 'grinding pastes', they have their place/uses but as you infur they can be overused. Every 100 rounds does seem a bit excessive but might be good for the first few sessions to tidy things up re the bore? What is your typical round count for a day at the range?

Brgds Terry

Hi Terry,

Typically 50 rounds a week at present as I get acquainted with the rifle and work up some hand loads (*that I can consistently reproduce the same results with :) ).

Which does tie in with cleaning, once you've cleaned the barrel how many fouling shots are required to get to a decent surface in the barrel......

To try and eliminate this during my load dev I currently run 5 rounds through the barrel before going through the developed rounds and then a further 5 after so that I can "book end" the results and have something to compare with.

Overspray - I had a quick view of the first 10 minutes of Mark and Sam and will continue this evening...... one thing I did notice was another advocate of Ballistol, i love the stuff! :wub:

All the best

G

Archived