.300 WSM Powder choice for 178gr ELD-X

Biathlonjimmy

I'm looking at using 178gr ELD-X instead of 208r AMax in my .300.

Can anyone recommend some suitable powders. I have Superformance, 8208 XBR, IMR 4831. I think the superformance may be a little fast. Willing to look at RS & VIT powders. Looking to gain good velocity ~3000fps from a 24inch barrel without having wild fluctuations due to temperature.

All experiences good or bad welcome.

Thanks,

James

I have used RS62 and N550 in the 300WSM with 155gr, 175gr and 178gr bullets out of a 24" Tikka barrel.

I found both to be well suited to the application, however I would recommend the RS62 over N550 or RS60 as it is significantly cooler burning yet provides very respectable velocities and I found it to be a softer recoiling powder (if there is such a thing when burning 65-70gr of powder). I did not find the RS62 to be affected by temperature very much when going from about 0c - 25c but have not shot the N550 enough to comment on its stability.

Velocities attained:

N550 175gr VLD 2998fps

N550 155gr TMK 3128fps

RS62 178 A-MAX 2978fps

RS62 155 SMK 3050 (loaded up as far as ~ 3150fps but it was more accurate at 3050)

About to try RL19 but do not have any results yet.

As you say RS 70 is slower burning; it would also be a workable choice, especially with the heavier bullets although you will probably end up using a few grains more than 60/62 to get similar velocities.

All three will work with similar results though, depending on max OAL you should be able to reach ~3000fps with a 175-178gr bullet from a 24" barrel however that will not necessarily result in the best accuracy.

This may help:
http://reload-swiss.com/en/media/editor_media/reload_swiss/pdf/Burnrate_Chart_en.pdf

• 1 month later...

I have just picked up a couple of tubs of RS70 to use with 200gr ELD-X from Dolphin Guns.

Mik very kindly took me on a brief tour of his workshop and armoury. I could have spent all day there......awesome. Big thanks to Mik given his huge workload to spare the time to show me a few projects, his machines and discuss a future 6.5 build for McQueens.

I'm still smiling and very grateful :D

Archived