Thanks Elwood

Tikka 260

I was invited out today by Elwood (Ian) to give the Lawton 6.5x55 a go at longer ranges than are normal for my deerstalking shots. This was strictly on paper; before anyone gets overexcited.

Any way, Ian had already taken the time to run my existing loads thru Quickload, and produced a drop chart for the 6.5x55 and for the Tikka 260 !

As it turned out we didnt get to try the 260 but maybe another day will provide for that.

Ian explained his set up, and he started me off at 200 yds to see if the existing zero was there or thereabouts for application of the drop chart numbers. It turned out to be fine, so he took the paper target out to 300 yds and we tried that according to the chart, 3 shots grouped ok , so he then invited me to try the 390 yd 'gong' using his 6mmBR, ...... much to my amazement it was a first time hit.

Then tried the 390 yd gong with the 6.5x55,...... BINGO !

The finale was 3 shots at a roebuck target at 400 yds with the 6.5x55, and all 3 were in the money .

I was quite amazed at what can be done, as I have no previous experience of this skill at all. The Lawton rifle continues to impress me, and needlless to say I was a little surprised at being able to reach out to 400 with comparative ease.

I hasten to add that I have absolutely no intention or desire to attempt to shoot deer at this range, but it does inspire confidence in both the rifle and self for normal ranges.

Thanks to Ian for his time and enthusiasm to get me reaching out a bit with the new rifle, a great afternoon.

Range looking up the rise towards gong and Roe Target, the white shape in the middle ground is the 300 target

RangeJPG.jpg

Roebuck target , 3 shots about 1 3/4" spread , showing a slight side wind I guess. For a first attempt I was 'made up' .

Rooebuck400JPG.jpg

ATB

T260

It was a pleasure Pete, and we will definitely do it again, and good shooting on your behalf, 1 3/4 inches at 400 yards for a first time isn't to shabby at all. I should add that my rifle is a 22BR, the 6BR is still being built.

And tonight I missed my first fox with the 22BR from all of 150 yards! Typical.

Archived