Foundation for load development

simonl

I'm looking to remove as many factors as possible from my load development so I have greater confidence in focusing on or dismissing certain loads (or equipment).

Wondering what comments people have to help me define my basic approach.

- Build a solid bench

- Remove *me* from the equation as much as possible by removing as much contact with the gun as possible. Not sure how to best achieve this though. A bench rest approach but what sort? Everything will have a mod fitted (unless diagnosing issues) and no massive calibres, so no big recoil. I don't mind bodging some contraption and I'm happy to buy some zircon or chromite heavy sand but won't spend big money on a front rest. Free recoil vs sandbagged up like there's a flood coming, or somewhere in the middle?

Once I've drawn conclusions the end goal is a gun that won't be used on a bench very much at all. What approach do you recommend?

Thanks, S.

S, I know you don't want to go full Bench Rest-but there is a reason for all their gear/technique (mind you,it's all a bit in vain if the rig (rifle/ammo) does not have intrinsic .1 moa potential...!! If it ain't there,you can't get it out ...if it is,you might!

OK-you don't need a £1000 front rest....you do need a very stable bench though (or prone-the earth does not wobble...much).

Yes,if you are using some bags-Zircon sand is just about justifiable.

Rifle hold has to be what you have confidence in-the proper set up (rest/bag) allows virtually free recoil -with a broad flat forend-rifle just nudges back a couple of inches-trigger pinched by thumb/forefinger on rear trigger guard...but that's extreme (but hits distant gongs)...Maybe better to try gentle 'field lite' holds... but best not to hold on for grim life...in low recoilers,let the rig do what it wants,if it's set up right-ie recoil straight back in the rest/bag...ooops,there's the reason for a front rest-an old car jack can be ok,cheaper than a SEB,and most of the benefit...

Also ,given your end goal/use Bench Rest precision isn't that relevant.....improving moa from say,.8 to.3 moa,has very little effect per se,on hitting moa targets out to say 300y.... the .8 will do that,anything betteris just a little wriggle room-but not much (think max 5%,compared to five times that in getting wind accurate.....

Much the same with load development-depending on whether its reasonably good (SD 15 fps),improving to 10fps won't transform hit performance (maybe 5% more hits)...so unless you are Bench Resting,where .1 moa might cover at least all the podium contenders, keep the cost/effort/returns balance realistic.

Best of all,test in very good conditions-no wind and shoot decent samples as you close in on the favourite(s).

gbal

Wind flags! Remember the benchrester's adage - any wind moves any bullet at any range.[/quot

+1 on Vince's advice- wind flags-a bit of (surveyers) tape on a stick-are VERY cost effective.

(even if no-very little-wind is really the load development ideal.You will generally have to shoot in wind)

g

Archived