just been doing some load development and zeroing at 200 yards and happen to put an old tyre behind the paper.

53g vmax. going about 3500

tiny hole on one tyre wall then going through the second tyre wall lots of expansion.

in short, each time i see a ballistic tip bullet go through someting new wood /steel/ etc i am impressed with the sheer power and expansion of polymer tipped bullets.

they even make a mess of the steel reinforced parts!.

DSCN4655_zpsgd5trrds.jpg

I once shot a calor bottle (yes it was empty) @ 100 ish y with a 55gr vmax in a 223 and was surprised to watch it go straight through without expanding

i shot a binned frying pan the other day. perfect round hole but on the tree trunk behind bullet opened up to an inch diameter mess of expansion.

before frying pan .223 after 1.0 inch.

I use standard factory Hornady 53gr V-Max (3465fps) which are supremely accurate and pretty devastating.

never tried factory but , i got some once fired 223 hornaday cases last week , sorting through them they seem concentric and nice brass, a little better than the ggg brass but not as thick.

• 2 weeks later...

brought the 17hmr off you, hows it going.

i'm using 26g n135, 223, yes 53 vmax

Yeah great thanks. You still got the HMR? I'm using the same powder but with 25.1gr. Perhaps I need to push it up a bit. That's fairly shifting. The chrono clocked mine at 3,260fps but the drop data only matched when I reduced it to 3,000fps. Still very accurate loads all the same.

What length barrel have you got? Presumably they group pretty well too?

Yeah great thanks. You still got the HMR? I'm using the same powder but with 25.1gr. Perhaps I need to push it up a bit. That's fairly shifting. The chrono clocked mine at 3,260fps but the drop data only matched when I reduced it to 3,000fps. Still very accurate loads all the same.

What length barrel have you got? Presumably they group pretty well too?

ur hmr, nice rifle, but sold it ages ago.

i noticed someone comment the real BC g1 to be .27 for the 53vmax over longer distances. not sure how true that is? but it make sense it would be .29 bc at faster speeds and .27 at lower speeds over a longer distance.

my barrel is 25 inch face to crown. if it were shorter i would prefer the n133.

seen some encouraging accuracy even with some poor brass/utility factory barrel at 200.

i like the look of the n530 powder. bit of extra nitro :D

varmintexpress,your point is sound-and not always appreciated/incorporated into the data fed into the ballistics calculator....I don't have data for that specific cartridge,but Sierra do publish G1 BCs for their bullets,and that gives the general picture. BC simply reduces ,as does velocity,with distance. Sierra summarise data in three velocity bands ...like above 3000fps,2500-3000,2000-2500 with the g1 for each...geared to each bullet of course. Makes the point pretty clearly.An average can be better,for the bands a bullet goes through-though that can get a little complicated -different 'times' in each-but usually helps the tweaking needed,especially beyond 200y or so.

Best answer is to use Bryan Litz G7 BC wherever possible-far more 'accurate'-and does not change much.

gbal

ur hmr, nice rifle, but sold it ages ago.

i noticed someone comment the real BC g1 to be .27 for the 53vmax over longer distances. not sure how true that is? but it make sense it would be .29 bc at faster speeds and .27 at lower speeds over a longer distance.

my barrel is 25 inch face to crown. if it were shorter i would prefer the n133.

seen some encouraging accuracy even with some poor brass/utility factory barrel at 200.

i like the look of the n530 powder. bit of extra nitro :D

I use a 26 inch barrel and N133 works a treat (betters N140 anyway) on heavier 60gr V-max. N133 I'd have thought would work well with a 25 inch barrel and a 53gr bullet. You're getting pretty decent velocities with the powder you're using though. I load with 23.6gr N133 behind a 60gr v-max for 3140 fps. It could be loaded hotter in my barrel as I've tried it to 24.6gr without pressure signs.

varmintexpress,your point is sound-and not always appreciated/incorporated into the data fed into the ballistics calculator....I don't have data for that specific cartridge,but Sierra do publish G1 BCs for their bullets,and that gives the general picture. BC simply reduces ,as does velocity,with distance. Sierra summarise data in three velocity bands ...like above 3000fps,2500-3000,2000-2500 with the g1 for each...geared to each bullet of course. Makes the point pretty clearly.An average can be better,for the bands a bullet goes through-though that can get a little complicated -different 'times' in each-but usually helps the tweaking needed,especially beyond 200y or so.

Best answer is to use Bryan Litz G7 BC wherever possible-far more 'accurate'-and does not change much.

gbal

i guess as shooters we must consider 'time'

my physics mate always maintained that the longer a bullet is subjected to the wind (or other factors, i.e. gravity, earth rotation, spin drift etc) the more the factor will effect bullet path. eg the more 'time' it spends in the wind the more deflection. he maintained time was an important factor. in fact time was critical.

as bullet slows its spending more and more 'time' traveling in the wind. as it slows more and more over range.

if wind is constant, and as bullet slows, the wind has more TIME to change the bullets path. it would make sense bc would have to change to account for the increased time spent in the wind.

i guess if bullet maintained its muzzle velocity (if shot in space for example), all the way to target, the g1 bc would maintain also at 0.29 all the way to the target. as traveling time would also be consistent.

i guess g7 must have a diminishing formula and g1 does not.

if anyone has already found the g7 bc for the 53vmax i would like to know it.

I use a 26 inch barrel and N133 works a treat (betters N140 anyway) on heavier 60gr V-max. N133 I'd have thought would work well with a 25 inch barrel and a 53gr bullet. You're getting pretty decent velocities with the powder you're using though. I load with 23.6gr N133 behind a 60gr v-max for 3140 fps. It could be loaded hotter in my barrel as I've tried it to 24.6gr without pressure signs.

i also use n133 its a great powder. must be all burnt by the time it gets too 25th inch.

but currently i like the n135 because its hard to get pressure signs with it in 5.56 case, almost full with 26g. the bullet is also on the lands. full case and on lands, you would think pressure would be high but no signs of stiff bolt, flat primmer, case separation etc. if neck tension is moderate i'm not getting pressure signs at all. By no means have i finished load developing this load ,still waiting for the usa to share some of its product so i can tweek some more not got a range day for another 5 weeks on the 500yard range. so more time to mess around yet.:)

my estimation is; somewhere between n133 and n135 is perfect. i don't have a computer program etc to predict barrel burn rate to confirm this tho, its an estimate. my guess is by 22/23 inches n133 is all burnt hence liking the n135 in my 25 inchs.

n530 could be the magic recipe somewhere in the middle near n135.

Archived