SAKO 85 Delivery Times!!!!!!

At the begining of the month I cancelled my order for a SAKO 85 with Sportsman at Exeter. I had been waiting since February when I had been told it would be 2-3 months. Over the following weeks a variety of tales were offered for the delay - inluding that my rifle was on its way in a container ship. The problem was with the importers not Sportsman, but that didn't help me at all.

Meanwhile a friend of mine ordered the same rifle from GMK (the importers) direct. He was told that there was no way that ANY 85s would be coming into the country before Christmas!!!! I am afraid that I could not wait nearly a year for a rifle - I have a big deer problem that needs to be sorted now, not in 4 months time.

In the end I bought a model 75 Finnlight from West Country Guns - there are still a good number of these around the country and they are exellent rifles. Don't expect any rock bottom prices though.

So I am telling the tale to caution anyone who is thinking of ordering an 85. Expect a long wait and don't accept any fairy tales about getting it sooner. My friend is happy to wait until Christmas or later - he already has a 75 so will not be without a gun while he is waiting.

Badsworth

I am afraid that I could not wait nearly a year for a rifle - I have a big deer problem that needs to be sorted now, not in 4 months time.

I ( as well as quite a few others on here no doubt :lol: ) would be quite willing to help you out in this dept. if you need it. :D

Badsworth

I can sympathise with you but I think you`ll find that the main problem does lie with the main importer.The fact is that as soon as the stock arrives at GMK the majority goes out to the different shops as back orders leaving the importer with little stock until the next shipment which usually dock every six months

The concept of the shops keeping a good stock on the shelf is a good one but most retailers aren`t willing to spend tens of thousands of pounds on a good selection when they only probably make around £50 on each transaction

You`ve probably got the best deal at the end of the day as the 75`s do seem to be better quality

The late model 75s seem to share the quality prolems of the current 85s. A mate of mine bought a new 75 in early 2007. It didn't shoot and he sent it back. More than a year has now passed and still no rifle.

I don't think this accuracy problem with the 75 was common but I have heard the same story from people who bought one of the last ones made. My reading of it is Beretta had some big loads to repay after buying Sako (and Tikka). To generate cash they have squeezed the brand by cutting the cost to produce Sakos/Tikkas. Result - quality and service go out the window. Sad.

Unless you've picked up a very late model 75 I think you've got a better rifle than a new 85.

Cornishman

Badsworth

I can sympathise with you but I think you`ll find that the main problem does lie with the main importer.The fact is that as soon as the stock arrives at GMK the majority goes out to the different shops as back orders leaving the importer with little stock until the next shipment which usually dock every six months

The concept of the shops keeping a good stock on the shelf is a good one but most retailers aren`t willing to spend tens of thousands of pounds on a good selection when they only probably make around £50 on each transaction

You`ve probably got the best deal at the end of the day as the 75`s do seem to be better quality

When you have a monopoly supply situation as you have with GMK and Sako then the distributer will not normally be holding stock, they dont need to and there are just to many variables in caliber, stock type etc etc. Rifles are made to order and I doubt could be returned as 'slow movers' if unsold. Retailers will only hold the top pops in 243 etc. Profits are the thing, would you tie up £800 for maybe a year or more to maybe make £50. When I ordered my 687EELL 15 years ago it took 11 months, when it arrived it had sling swivels attached to it !!. I finished up with a 28" barrel not a 30" but is has been a good gun.

A

Get a howa,

and for the price difference you can have barrel cut to your prefered length,

screw cut, recrowned, trigger done and bedded in a good composite stock.

Then you'll have a decent rifle.

why run after prima-donna...

edi

One thing to add to my earlier post is that one of my local dealers told me that there were indeed problems with the early model 85s (he didn't tell me about late model 75s - he would probably have scared me off completely if he had done). He sold one to a valued and long standing customer who brought it back after a while saying it wouldn't group. When it was inspected the integral scope rails had been badly machined allowing the scope to move around - very poor!

I have now worked out a homeload for my .25-06 that is giving me 3/4" groups at 100 yards. That is OK but I think I can do better when I get a Harris bipod on it and get more used to the rifle. After my .223 I found the re-coil a bit surprising at first.

IMAGE_020-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/badsw...IMAGE_020-1.jpg

Sorry this isn't a very good picture - but you can see that the 85 grain Nosler ballistic tip @3,600 fps is pretty effective against foxes. This weekend I start work on the deer!

Badsworth

Archived