A couple of live Roe

Two more live ones , taken with the camera at the end of the rut.

The doe was being very territorial and chased off another doe , leaving her 2 fawns hidden while she did so. She ran straight at me and stopped about 10 yds away , before taking 2 paces more, doing the usual thing, looking thru each eye and licking her nose to catch scent . She moved away unalarmed, and then circled around to check what I was. She stared for a couple of minutes from dark cover, and then retreated , barking , followed by the fawns. Nice encounter !

RoeDoe.jpg

The Buck was fairly worn out it seems, as he responded to calling , and came within 15 metres before he realised he had made a mistake.... any way he didnt run, just ambled away down wind, looking over his shoulder as he went.

RoebuckAmbersham-1.jpg

;) ;) :D

T260

Lovely photographs there, could I ask what camera?

I have a small digital and a huge digital SLR with a few lenses, but cannot carry rifle and decent camera at the same time always seem to have the wrong tool at the right time for photo's ;)

Lovely photographs there, could I ask what camera?

I have a small digital and a huge digital SLR with a few lenses, but cannot carry rifle and decent camera at the same time always seem to have the wrong tool at the right time for photo's ;)

I have the same problem... and I now take either the 'big camera' or a musket, but never both. It is all too much to lug about for me, and shooting and photography require a different stalking technique IMHO. The camera is a Nikon D200, 70-300mm VR type lens. It is OK, bombproof BUT heavy, and I could do with a slightly longer reach with the lens. For high seat pics I use a Gorilla Pod which is great for that application.

The camera gets more use in the summer when Clients have all the buck stalking !!

ATB

I also use Nikon but have a "larger" problem in the shape of F4s (35mm) and D2x (digital) - should have a wheelbarrow when out with these two ;)

Have you considered getting a TC 17 or TC 20 teleconverter, one of these would be my next choice for addition to my system.

The longest lens I have is the 70 - 200 f2.8, it would be nice to double this or even get a 400mm telephoto (and converter), but that takes things into another league regarding price ;)

Could always sell one of the kids I suppose :D

Yes , I have seriously considered a teleconverter, BUT the problem with teleconverters , is that one loses valuable f-stop , one at least, sometimes more, and I am often struggling to get pics in the gloom as it is. I would really like a serious, fast zoom , up to about the 400 -> 500mm focal length , but as you say it comes with a serious price tag too. My Kids left home before I could sell them grrrrrr. :lol::D :D

With an F4 or a D2X , you really do need a golf cart to lug it about, at least I can get away with a Bergen at a push lol

ATB

I never go out with both!

You lose one f stop with the TC17 and two with the TC 20.

Fast lenses help, the f2.8 on the 80-200 is wonderful.

Tip for 2nd hand gear - Grays of Westminster - fantastic service and always good gear. :lol:

Sorry to upset you further, but there are three TC 16a converters there (not sure if they support AF) and a TC20 (that does)

Also have a 500mm f4 AFS :D but that is used car money :lol:

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php

Think that should take you there mate.

Archived