expensive scopes

Hi after being shown the way, (thank you foxing2night) that life does exist past 150yds, the time has come to look for some new sopes, finer recticle are the order of the day, so bye bye bushnell elites with there elastic band recticle and hello ???????

shooting a 243 and a 17hmr at the mo

any advice, were to buy etc?

before i delve into the unknown??

It depends what you want to do with it and how.

From the sound of it you have been shooting long distances in daylight. If that is what you want then something with Target turrets is required. Luepold, Nightforce and S&B all do scopes and reticules that will suit. But they are by and large big heavy beasts.

Have a look at Snipers hide, there is a mine of info here including pictures of reticules through the scope

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...d=19&page=1

German built Ziess are a wonderfull scope especially in low light, but the only model that had target turrets was the US built Conquest range. these simply do not have the same quality as the German made ones. You will also want a higher mag than Ziess currently offer in non Conquest.

Most people here shooting at long ranges are using Nightforce, its big and heavy but tracks well and gets the job done.

A

Guest varmartin

With out a doubt ...only two manufactures rule the long range affordable market..

Nightforce either NXS or there bench rest series ( NXS is the best )

Or Leupold Any with target turrets will do you proud.

Luxury scopes......

S&B or US Optics......but at the top end of the price range ( read several $1000 )

There are others.......$$$£$£$££££

IMHO

I have a zeiss diavari 6-24x56 illuminated ret. All i can say is Fan-F*****g tastic. expensive but hey! lol

I also have 2 Mk4 leupys which are prety darn good. all my rifles get used on range and hunting purposes! so i want high mag for long range shooting but i can back em off for lamping or stalking if i need to.

Whats your budget though?

I have a zeiss diavari 6-24x56 illuminated ret. All i can say is Fan-F*****g tastic. expensive but hey! lol

I also have 2 Mk4 leupys which are prety darn good. all my rifles get used on range and hunting purposes! so i want high mag for long range shooting but i can back em off for lamping or stalking if i need to.

Whats your budget though?

budget about £1000

If you dont do much at night then Luepold will suit the budget and perform perfectly well. Nightforce and S&B are generally superior but over the budget unless you buy a used one, used should not be dismissed, these can be good value if perhaps someone does not like a reticule etc.

Probably best to get yourself to a group of us having a blast and try them and see what you like,

There are now two or three groups of us who meet up every few weeks for a casual long range blast. I host a group in the Midlands, there is also a group in the south west and there may well be others.

Otherwise get yourself to a major stockist and have a look and see what you like, easier to have a look on a rifle though.

A

As Varmartin has said Nightforce and Leupold :D , I have had both and now have a 6.5x20x50 target dot, on my 6mmbr ideal in the day for anything out to a 1000, but no good for night work, the illuminated ret on the nightforce gives you the best of both worlds :D , every one has their favorites just ask if you can have a look through a couple of different ones before you buy :lol: .

As Varmartin has said Nightforce and Leupold :D , I have had both and now have a 6.5x20x50 target dot, on my 6mmbr ideal in the day for anything out to a 1000, but no good for night work, the illuminated ret on the nightforce gives you the best of both worlds :D , every one has their favorites just ask if you can have a look through a couple of different ones before you buy :lol: .

thanks for all your help, leaning towards a night force at the moment.

Er, dare I say check the classifieds - I have a brand new one there for sale :lol:

the best way of finding out what are the best scope is look through the classified adds to find out what scope are regulary sold. THEN AVOID THOSE! the way i look at is if scope X is regul;ary being sold the owners cant like em that much. Go for something that hardly ever shows up in the adds. This would suggest that people are keeping hiold of em for a reason!

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/produc...+3-12x56T+Ret+O

There you go, a tad over budget, but will last a lifetime, and hold it's zero, even if you drop it. Mine fell out of the motor, whilst on the gun, onto a concrete road, no shift of zero at all.

Archived