Sellier and Belloit Primers

Crow Juice

Well this may not be a good assumption but since most of you guys are in Europe I thought I would ask your opinion. I am sort of assuming you might have a lot of experience with S&B .Their ammo has been available here for a long time but this is the first time i have seen their components . I just bought a couple of thousand small rifle primers because they were on sale . I'm sure they will go bang but I thought you guys might be able offer your thoughts on these compared to standard American primers .

I'm going to try them in my 223's. I have a couple of bolt guns and a handy rifle. I also have two 22 Hornets.

I did Google this topic and opinions are all over the place.

Before you say "why don't you just try them" I am working on that right now. I have 50 cases preped.

The S&B SRs did very well in my Small Rifle test too. 4th (out of 14) in terms of the SD value for a string of 15 shots. The 'winner' was an unexpected model, also a budget number - the Brazilian CBC Magtech 7 1/2.

The only downside with the S&Bs in either size is that they can be a little loose in Lapua etc case pockets. S&B uses very 'tight' pockets in its brass - so tight that I know of people returning unfired cases to the gunshop because they couldn't get a primer into every one without crushing them.

As with the LR test, 308 Win was used, in this case with SR primer Lapua 'Palma' brass. Generally, there was far less variance across the 14/15 SR primers' performance than there was with standard LR primed 308 brass.

I'll write the results up soon for Target Shooter.

Archived