Hornaday OAL guage

Mark Jones

Having just brought this with 2 modified cases I decided to give it a try to see if more accurate than using a case with light neck sized. .243 first, very happy 5 readings all within 1 thou and a 80 grn nosler seating into the case just over the bullet width, all good.

.204 ruger all 5 readings within 1 thou but bullet is so far forward that the boat tail just sits on case neck 39 grn BK.

What am I doing wrong, don't think the 39 grn is too short a bullet for caliber. Just got the rifle with lowest round count. It shoots very accurately but the bullet must be miles off the lands, any thoughts?

Mark

From my limited 204 Ruger experience with 5 different bullets from 3 different manufacturers' I've found that it is very tolerable of what I would have normally considered excessive bullet jump.

As Justin says, you already seem to have found a sweet spot, if your concerned about lack of bullet in the case neck, you could try a little more jump you maybe surprised.

How much jump do you have with the 39g BK?

Mark

From my limited 204 Ruger experience with 5 different bullets from 3 different manufacturers' I've found that it is very tolerable of what I would have normally considered excessive bullet jump.

As Justin says, you already seem to have found a sweet spot, if your concerned about lack of bullet in the case neck, you could try a little more jump you maybe surprised.

How much jump do you have with the 39g BK?

Will have a look later on and post. Am using the same load the guy I brought the gun off had developed. Shooting about 0.7 MOA

Having just brought this with 2 modified cases I decided to give it a try to see if more accurate than using a case with light neck sized. .243 first, very happy 5 readings all within 1 thou and a 80 grn nosler seating into the case just over the bullet width, all good.

.204 ruger all 5 readings within 1 thou but bullet is so far forward that the boat tail just sits on case neck 39 grn BK.

What am I doing wrong, don't think the 39 grn is too short a bullet for caliber. Just got the rifle with lowest round count. It shoots very accurately but the bullet must be miles off the lands, any thoughts?

normal for the 204 don't worry about it,my loads with the 39 gr sbk are around 100 thou off the lands and they group fine

I've had my 204 about five years now not had any problems,while i was waiting for my rifle i loaded some rounds with 25 gr of 10x and a 39 gr sbk and because i didn't have rifle i made them 100 thou longer than book length,like you i discovered how much freebore the 204 has so tried them as they were and they grouped fine .still using same length now but with 25.5 gr of 10x

having typed that i now remember my rounds are 100 thou long not 100 thou off lands,sorry for the miss information

With the .204 I really wouldn't worry about developing a load 'x' thou off the lands. I shoot the 32 grain bullets typically although have shot 39's. Like most having bought and still own a Hornady OAL gauge, both my loads are the standard SAMMI length as per the manual. I played with the charge weights (OCW) to obtain my accuracy a load.

I think the gauges are useful IF the standard COL doesn't group well with the powder, brass and primer combination.

Archived