Which 308

I have a slot for a 308, it will be mostly range and hopefully some stalking. Looking over the net i have thought about a Remington SPS Tactical, a Howa stainless with a Hogue stock and a A Bolt composite stalker, never handled any of them! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Try and go and handle them yourself as one mans meat is anothers poison.

They will all serve there purpose but until you handle them you won't know what suits you.

Cheers

Dave

If i was in the market for new reasonably priced 308 rifle it would have to be a Winchester Mod 70 Stealth, although not made anymore there are still plenty of examples about, i do believe Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports have some.

I have owned two in 22-250 and 300WSM, absolutely superb rifles and if anything to go by the 308 version will be equally as good, easily better then both the Rem VS and PSS, as for the SPS, that would be a very poor choice.

Ian.

I have a slot for a 308, it will be mostly range and hopefully some stalking. Looking over the net i have thought about a Remington SPS Tactical, a Howa stainless with a Hogue stock and a A Bolt composite stalker, never handled any of them! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Perhaps something like this, a Rem 700 PSS .308 in a Riflecraft TMR1 configuration:

P7130022.jpg

P7130018.jpg

It's mine and if nobody's interested in a useable target rifle, it's going to get the chop to 20" and a lam. stock to make a rifle for the woods.

Pete.

hi rooster,

i have just upgraded my 308 from a old bsa stalking rifle to a remmington 700 pss also was looking at a tikka t3 but was put off it a bit due to the cost of further upgrade work .

my main use is for vermin and fox shooting with a few wild boar thrown in so was looking for a all round gun . the 700 sps has a twenty inch barrel and is a job to fit a over barrel sound mod too the 700 pss is a twenty six inch heavy barrel with a varmint profile had mine shortened half a inch and threaded plus target crown also the pss comes with a hs percision stock and a full lenght beded action complete with fully floated barrel . it is a heavy gun and the stock may feel strange due to the plam swell in the grip the accuracy out of the box was amazing as it shot sub inch groups durring barrel break in with magtech factory ammo i wanted to get rid of it with a home load i can group touching shots at 150 yds with best five group being . 336 of an inch measured by a target shooter .

but you need to find what is right for you

ps as a extra guide try to find a remmy with a g prefix to the serial number as these are made on the new cnc machinery in the smith and western factory and the american sites rave about them they say they are as good as any blueprinted action from my limited experience they could be right.

hope this info is of use too you and what ever you choose you have fun shooting it .

or you could go for something like this

P1010193.jpg

Here we have a semi custom stainless sako 75 in 308 fitted with stainless super match grade Loather Walther barrel,the rifle is new having only fired 1 proofing shot,it retains it original synthetic stock and has been fully sealed from the weather by being Dura Coated in Silver/Titanium fleck,the finish looks exactly like a brand new sako 75 comes screw cut for mod,A really nice light weight stalking rifle which will have very consistent accuracy, Inc bases and 1 inch rings

ATB

Colin :lol:

or you could go for something like this

P1010193.jpg

Here we have a semi custom stainless sako 75 in 308 fitted with stainless super match grade Loather Walther barrel,the rifle is new having only fired 1 proofing shot,it retains it original synthetic stock and has been fully sealed from the weather by being Dura Coated in Silver/Titanium fleck,the finish looks exactly like a brand new sako 75 comes screw cut for mod,A really nice light weight stalking rifle which will have very consistent accuracy, Inc bases and 1 inch rings

ATB

Colin :lol:

Only wish i could afford something like that mate, looks a bit out of my league! Budget will be around £600 tops i think, wish i was rich! I will go round all the local RFDs and try a few for size over the next couple of weeks.

regards

Been to DeepBlue dive centre at Whitley Bay today and they had a Tikka T3 Lite S/S for £695 and a Ruger M77 Mk11 S/S including rings and bases for £595, handled them both and preferred the Tikka the stock on the Ruger seemed cheap. I will have a trip to a few more shops before i make a decision.

armalon, why?????????

coz they are making barrels using the old parker hale hammer forging machines, they bought them

why parker hale?????? coz I got two that shoot sub 1/4" and I know of others that shoot the same

armalon quote that the parker hale hammer forged bbls peak on accuracy at around 10,000 rounds

they made four grove target bbls that are just sweet, infact everything that you would look four in tack driver bench gun/field combo today, they allready had them back along, say for example four groove 7.62 heavy match bbl, flat bottem reciever, built in recoil lug that the mating part is adjusted to suit each rifle, target style stock

so with parker hale down the pan with proberbly a product that was ahead of its time, and armalon owning the bbl making gear, if I want a new bbl I will be chatting to them

but thats just my fat arrrrsed view

Guest charadam

silentsou..................

I am reading my 1958 Parker-Hale catalogue and it describes their hammer forging method of barrel making.

They were ahead of their time 60 years ago.

Some of the most precise rifles ever made were PH.

Their marketing was poor and they never managed to become fashionable and to charge exorbitant prices!

Well done Armalon for keeping this technology alive.

When i first started getting into c/f a mate who has been shooting for years is a sako fan (die hard fan to be honest) Said get sako. I only had a small budget so went with 2 remmy 700's. I wish i had listened to him from the start! i have spent hundreds of pounds on ammo, time, effort and wirk to get them shooting accurately. Plus i have just bought a sako 75 which just feels so much better! and well worth the money! You can pick up second hand 75's for £600. you will not look back if you do get one.

Archived