Lee neck sizer

Mark Jones

I've found the Lee Collet dies quite sensitive to how they are set up.

Put your shell holder in the press and put the ram right up. Screw your die in til it touches, then drop the ram, and give the die another turn or so.

The die works on the premise that you need to push the gubbins of the die UP into the body of it, letting it squeeze the brass neck onto the mandrel.

Setting the die up so it just kisses the shell holder like you would perhaps a full length sizing die simply won't work.

If you've done all that and the brass isn't sizing, you may need to turn the mandrel down a 'ballhair'. Chuck it in a drill chuck and burl it round in some fine wet and dry paper, knock a thou off at a time and re-try.

I've found the Lee Collet dies quite sensitive to how they are set up.

Put your shell holder in the press and put the ram right up. Screw your die in til it touches, then drop the ram, and give the die another turn or so.

The die works on the premise that you need to push the gubbins of the die UP into the body of it, letting it squeeze the brass neck onto the mandrel.

Setting the die up so it just kisses the shell holder like you would perhaps a full length sizing die simply won't work.

If you've done all that and the brass isn't sizing, you may need to turn the mandrel down a 'ballhair'. Chuck it in a drill chuck and burl it round in some fine wet and dry paper, knock a thou off at a time and re-try.

Thanks for the advise, will have a try at the weekend

No worries, good luck. Took me a bit of swearing to figure one out the first time I used one.....

And if the above comment is apparent, smear just a tiny sliver of lithium grease over the four fingers

will try this. I screwed it down 2 turns after touching the ram and could see the lower part of the die bouncing as i lifted the ram but no resize, was only after a light resize as well as was trying to work out COL of a new bullet in my rifle

Disassemble and measure the mandrel, you may need to remove a thou or two to get the neck tension you desire....

Mark

Follow Grum's installation for the die precisely. You should not have any problems if it is a Lee press?. If it is not a Lee made press, try turning the die in two full turns, once you have raised the ram and lowered the die to touch the shellholder

Remember also, that once you have turned the die in the required amount of turns you have to pull the lever down with enough force to close the collet (essentially making the die do the intended job) ... then tighten up the lock ring, and test by removing the case from shellholder and testing with a bullet into the case-neck for tension. If your bullet is then still slack in the case, unloosen the lock ring and turn the die in a 1/8 of a turn again and finger tighten the lock ring and test again (another 1/8th turn) - keep doing this procedure.

What I have highlighted in bold above, is essential for it to work correctly - making sure you pull the lever with the necessary force to close the collet (the 'fingers' onto the mandrel)

ATB

Archived