Night on the stubble

n8ess

Had a call from the farmer on Friday morning, saying they had been combining and had put out quite a few foxes during the day, he asked me if i fancied going out that evening to see if we could reduce the numbers, I rang my lamping partner to see if he was up for a night out, I don't know about you guys but it's not often the the farmer offers to drive.

The farmer called the farm adjacent to his as we would shooting over some of his land too so we just wanted to let him know we would be out, he said he had seen some cubs out in the grass field opposite his house and would we mind having a look there whilst we were out. We pulled into the field and had a squeak, a quick pan with the lamp showed 2 set of eyes about 180 yards out within 10 feet of each other, turned off the lamp and squeaked again, they came running like a train, they stopped at a feed trough about 120 yards and sat looking straight at me, resting my tikka 223 on the roof of the pickup I squeezed off the first round, plop, I hit him straight in the chest, the second one immediatly headed for the ditch and dissapeared.

Next we drove to the wheat field that had been combined earlier, we drove up the headland into the top corner as they was good cover against the backdrop of the truck, we had a lamp round and saw 2 sets of eyes one to the left and one to the front slightly to the right, my partner said take the one to the left first as the wind was wrong and he would wind us, it was a bit awkward as I was near my limit on the bipod shooting to the side, i hit him square in the shoulder and he dropped like a stone, we panned straight away looking for the one to the right, he was still there about 160 yards out, I thought he would run any minute so I said put the lamp straight on him, again we heard that wonderful plop, the farmer and my mate ran out to pick them up whilst I re-loaded ready for the next field. As my mate was walking back the truck with the second fox I had another quick scan around the field, I couldn't believe it there was another fox straight in front of us mouseing, I was franticly waving to my mate saying there was another, he jumped on the truck and took over the lamp, he was a good 220 yards so I gave him a squeak to see if he would respond, he just looked up then carried on mouseing, we squeaked again and he stood perfectly sideways on, bang!! another one bites the dust, this was turning out to be a great night, 4 foxes, the farmer driving and we had only been out just over an hour.

We drove back towards the farm to a rape field that was still stubble, as we pulled through the gateway we couldn't believe our luck, another 3 sets of eyes!! one literally 40 yards away and another 2 sets to the left, I dispatched the first, zipped him right open, but the other 2 started running towards a hedge bordering the field, had a squeak and one of them turned and started coming, he ran about another 30 yards and stopped, bang!! that was number 6 and a very happy farmer.

We called it a night, I was back home gun cleaned and in bed for 11.30, what better could you ask for on a Friday night. :mad::):wub:

Neil

post-6028-1219088860.jpg

post-6028-1219088860.jpg

Nice one mate :wub: , I wish they could get it cut down here :D , I have about 2000acres that i shoot on that is still standing its a big pain in the ASS :mad:

That was the first wheat they had cut, they managed a few more on Saturday as i took my 4 year old down to have a ride on the combine, its raining hard again tonight and they are getting real pissed off as the wheat is falling out of the ears. lets hope it dries up for a couple of days and we can all get out :)

Fortunately they got the oats and grass cut round here before the weekend so at least theres something to go on if this rain would just stop.I`ve just been for a drive round and the combines are all parked up on the wheat fields waiting for a break :o

I did manage to take out a couple of 200yd crows with the Tac20 though so it wasn`t all bad news :D

Guest varmartin

What a bag you had....farmer must have been chuffed as nuts ! I wish it would stop raining too :D

Well...I have nearly finnished the boat and all the animals are in except for the two foxes...?? :o

Thanks guys,

They have combined another 200 acres over the last couple of days so I am hoping to get out at again at the weekend. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to upload pictures, as you can see I from my post i am having a few problems, I take the photo's on my Nokia N95, but they are either too big to upload or I compress them and their too small.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to upload pictures, as you can see I from my post i am having a few problems, I take the photo's on my Nokia N95, but they are either too big to upload or I compress them and their too small.

Open an acount with Photo-bucket,much easier to put up pics at the size you want!

Archived