Foiled by a screw

Toby

Hi,was all set to swap over my Rem 700ADL stock over to the McMillan mountain rifle stock that just arrived,snuggled the action in,tightened the trigger guard screws,then the front action screw,b********!The damn screw is too short for the new stock,So if anyone has a screw which is slightly longer than 3cms which would fit I would be a happy bunny.regards Toby

Hi Toby,

Are you using the original screws that come with the rifle and are they the slotted type?. I would advise that you change to cap head screws (Allen Key). Far superior. Remington use 1/4 X28 UNF according to my references and my 700 BDL so I assume this is true of the present models. You may have a local fastenings supplier who will have them with the correct thread. If not, find a place that deals with hydraulics such as pumps, rams etc. - those fellas use all sorts of bolts and screws with all sorts of threads. You may be lucky. If you are really stuck and you can confirm the size and thread, I could send you a couple. I have a few cap head screws, 1/4"X28 UNF X 38mm long which just need cutting to length.

Peter

+1 Toby

I have both 1/4 x28 stainless and blued cap head screws if you cannot find any locally, I can send a couple no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived