ELD-M 140gr BC

hunter686

My understanding was the BC was .610. I have just been on the Hornady website and it's now showing that they are .646. I double checked against Midway and they have it as .610. Anyone have any idea what is the actual BC for these bullets are?

Technically speaking, the BC changes with velocity/atmospheric conditions, baro pressures, etc. That aside,

were I a betting man, I'd wager that the manufacturer who tests them, not the retailer who sells them, knows the actual BC.~Andrew

There's more details on their page on ballistic coefficients (link). The table from the page below.

ELDMachAssociatedBCValues17ALlBULLETSONL

There's a good paper/presentation of their (Hornady's) testing and the development of the ELD bullet line if you are so interested.

ELD-X and ELD Match Technical details PDF file.

Very ball park velocities for a 6.5 140g BC .49 (note-somewhat lower thanELD):

MV 2800 fps

150y 2500

300y 2200

500y 1950

Together with the corresponding G1s you can get some idea of average over bullet flight.

Manufacturers,perhaps not surprisingly,typically quote the best (muzzle) BC; while field values are closer averaged to,say,150-300 y (or whatever ranges apply before fall of shot.). But,just like the MV, it won't be the muzzle value for very long!

gbal

Archived