remington 9 1/2 primers

griffshrek

hello all

a bit of help needed , i have been reloading for a couple of yrs( still learning all the time) reloaded for my .243 i have tried only two different powdres and once i found a combination the rifle liked i have not changed.

my current set up is Rem .243 brass--Varget powder--CCI200 primers

to my horror last night i discovered that i only had 50 odd primers left , down gun shop to day and they did not have the CCI 200 i usually have but only

Remington 9 1/2(no new primers in for some time) i had a little look on the old tinternet today and it stated on one site that these primers are only good for fast powders like" IMR 3031"which is faster than varget on the powder burn rate tables.

do any of you out there have any info on these primers i have bought a few boxes and the gun shop will let me return non opened boxes .any info would be great............neil

I have used the Rem 9 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers for years and the CCI std and benchrest with no issues. There is no doubt that some primer and powder combos work better than others, but Remingtom make no such sweeping recommendations as to use.

The 243 likes both fast and slow powders depending on bullet weight ( you dont say bullet type) so a bit more info needed really but if it shoots well on your load just use it.

Redfox

I use them exclusively when a large rifle primer is called for. Years ago I compared Winchester and Remington and found my groups opened up with the Winchester primers. Not a definitive test, but it was good enough for me and I've stuck with them for the last 27 years.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived