Cleaning Brass

Brillo

After cleaning my rifles today I wiped the necks of some of my fired cases with a patch that had "Wipe Out - Patch Out" on it then wiped it off. I don't know why, but I did. The effect was nothing short amazing. The necks were like new.

Is there any know detrimental effects of this copper/carbon remover on brass? If not I'm going to use this as a routine instead of fine grade wire wool.

Well, as brass is copper and zinc, unless you thoroughly clean it afterwards, it will degrade the case.

Brass cleaning solutions work in the same way but in a much lower concentration.

The cleaning fluid was wiped off immediately so I can't see a problem there. Thoughts?

I wouldn't use anything that would degrade the brass. Why not just use a tumbler or US bath as most do? Is there a cache in having brass looking as new? Surely all that matters is that it is cleaned sufficiently to be able to identify any damage and so that dies are given an easy time. I don't care if mine aren't as new, but the tumbler seems to do a great job and you're safe in the knowledge that you're not degrading the alloy.

The reason I mention this is because, as a norm, I don't tumble or ultrasonic my brass. I simply wipe the necks with fine grade wire wool and then full length size, upsize the neck with a mandrel and wipe the case clean of lubricant. Job done.

I just had three fired cases on the table while I was cleaning my rifle and took it upon myself to wipe the necks of those cases with a cleaning patch that had Wipe-out on it and wiped then dry straight away. It took the carbon off immediately.

I'm not looking for recommendations or a consensus on cleaning brass. I just needed to know the effects on brass of that cleaning compound considering it's only there for seconds. But thanks for the replies so far.

The problem I see is that barrel cleaning solutions are so corrosive to the copper in the brass that even a short exposure is bound to degrade the alloy. You also say you wiped it off. Unless you wiped it off with a neutralising agent then a small amount may remain.

It seems like cutting your toenails with a sword, you can do it if you're careful but why take the risk when there are safer ways.

The problem I see is that barrel cleaning solutions are so corrosive to the copper in the brass that even a short exposure is bound to degrade the alloy. You also say you wiped it off. Unless you wiped it off with a neutralising agent then a small amount may remain.

It seems like cutting your toenails with a sword, you can do it if you're careful but why take the risk when there are safer ways.

Indeed....I recall being exposed to horror stories warning about fluorine titration in the chem lab (DON"T)- it would of course remove toe nails,but also toes and body parts, miscellaneously....PDQ !

(fluoride is ok as used in toothpaste...you'll still be able to smile..... :-)

gbal

Indeed....I recall being exposed to horror stories warning about fluorine titration in the chem lab (DON"T)- it would of course remove toe nails,but also toes and body parts, miscellaneously....PDQ !

(fluoride is ok as used in toothpaste...you'll still be able to smile..... :-)

gbal

Ha, ha, point taken (no pun intended).

Archived