Identifying Old(ish) Dies

Nfarmer

I have been given a set of dies by a fellow club member, .38 special/.357. I'm told they were possibly manufactured by Jim Goodwin of North Devon Firearms. Can anyone help, they are steel and appear in good condition. I am told they are of very good quality. Please note I know nothing about pistol calibres.

IMG_0481_zpsniuoinmw.jpg

Thanks

Norman

I had a very similar set 3 of three 38/357 dies ,also credited to NDF-they were I think quite popular here before the pistol ban...also some 2 die sets of rifle ones -308,6.5M/S and the relatively unusual (9x56 m/s eg,made for me maybe 15 years ago by the guy who took over the business-or at least did the machining.

There were minimal calibre markings eg 6.5M/S or M308,and no maker markings

Steel indeed-work fine,feel rather solid/chunky,esp contrasted to say Lee vintage,but as to tolerances and finesse-I doubt that they would have any advantage over contemporary US makes.Don't seem to rust,except the top knurling maybe.They do the job (but forget any options like interchangeable bushings,micro seating etc,which current basic/standard die sets don't offer either.)

goal

Some cracking pressure knurling there. Knurling can be a swine to repeat consistently and I am always slightly envious of well finished parts. (Notice the slight drag mark on the lock ring of the lowest die, it shows it was done by a human!)

Some cracking pressure knurling there. Knurling can be a swine to repeat consistently and I am always slightly envious of well finished parts. (Notice the slight drag markon the lock ring of the lowest die, it shows it was done by a human!)

I agree Dave - To machine a set of dies from scratch would be a time consuming job in those pre CNC/DRO days.

Archived