Next Time .............

Wsm

Nice, wouldn't you have expected the cage to be at least fastened on with ratchet straps!

One very lucky guy.

i would be thanking the camera man for his assistance in this difficult time, :D and i would be doing it in my very own special way. ;):P

IE he would look more like a bear had attacked him than i would have :D:D

ATB

Colin :D

From the bear’s perspective........now learned humans are good play toys.

From the tree huggers perspective..........all went well except for stress caused t the bear.

From the camermans point of view........why help someone who won’t help himself when armed.

Training opportunity?.......may be someone standing off with a rifle who will / can use it would be better than a video.....or as well as a video. Also a revolver makes a great paper weight but little else when kept in its holster - could have been drawn by pic 4 and fired 6 times by pic 5, not the ideal tool for the job but better than nowt. Hard to expect someone else to help you when you wont help yourself.

David.

I think I might have considered releasing the bruin directly into the cover rather than on a narrow bridge but, having said that, I wasn't there! Hindsights a wonderful thing! He's a bloody lucky bloke to have been so lightly injured, tumbling off the truck along with that heavy cage must have hurt let alone the bear having his input into the situation. JC

if you care to look at the photos properly you will see that the truck has moved,and it was probably that coupled with a bear holding the release cadge that caused the cadge to fall from the truck.

my statement was said with tong in cheek, but as you are all experts in bear release i will leave you all to comment, when not one of you noticed the truck had driven 1/2 the bridge.

but i can tell you this,if any off my friends or work m8s where in a bind i would not say and i quote, well if he can not help his self,

when faced with very very stressful situations every one reacts different,and one thing stands out,you don't all ways do the obvious like draw your side arm and shoot the bear.

but it is easy to sit in your comfy chair and pass judgment.

ATB

Colin ;)

Guest varmartin

Col...you sound like someone puked in the back of your taxi and you had to clean it up with cotton buds...... ;) ....dont let um get to you.

Col it was an opinion on the pics that’s all.....I thought that’s what they were put up for......I will of course concede any point of view should your experience on bear release be more than mine. I have bugger all.

The situation is loose - loose, the bear has attacked a human, guess the litigation should it attack someone else if not destroyed.

As an opinion it would seem more constructive to take the video to people who have experience in resolving dangerous situations and try to get some professional training so you are relying on trained people rather than a mate should the SHTF. Appropriate situation management - both with respect to animal psychology and firearms training would seem good skills to have.

We are not even sure who was taking the pics - Park Ranger??, tourist??, 14 year old? Who knows.

Out of choice I will take my Sig P229 over the help of a mate.

David.

Col it was an opinion on the pics that's all.....I thought that's what they were put up for......I will of course concede any point of view should your experience on bear release be more than mine. I have bugger all.

well who would have guessed that then,

The situation is loose - loose, the bear has attacked a human, guess the litigation should it attack someone else if not destroyed.

normally the reason they take bears and release them in the woods far far from humans is because the bears have become UN afraid of us, and because we leave food in cars they have been braking in to cars and so on,so they take the bears miles away from habitation and if they return,they are destroyed.because they are becoming a danger to the residents of xx xx

now i don't know if this is one such bear but it would be a safe bet as they do it all the time,and each bear is fitted with identification.so its kinda like a last chance anyway.

As an opinion it would seem more constructive to take the video to people who have experience in resolving dangerous situations and try to get some professional training so you are relying on trained people rather than a mate should the SHTF. Appropriate situation management - both with respect to animal psychology and firearms training would seem good skills to have.

i would say they have had training,(or did they just nip to bear cages R us,and buy a bear in a cadge) but unfortunately it went wrong this time, and commenting on the situation with hindsight is a wonderfully thing,

We are not even sure who was taking the pics - Park Ranger??, tourist??, 14 year old? Who knows.

well i know one thing, there where at least 2 adults there,as there are 2 trucks, and i don't think you would release a bear with a 14 year old kid stud in front of it.

or maybe they tried to release the bear in a picnic area?? ;) who knows as there is only you with common sense it seems :rolleyes:

Out of choice I will take my Sig P229 over the help of a mate.

thats easy to say when you are sat front of your computer,but the situation changers drastically when you have a bear slinging you around like a rag doll,

i must not be as tuff as you as i would not be fussy, and i would welcome any assistance that came,

as this is what happens when bears attack

read this

http://sideways8.wordpress.com/2006/05/19/...dest-bear-ever/

and you see sometimes a hand gun is no good.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

David.

Col, if I`m right you view the event as an unfortunate accident and would feel the need to give the camera person a good kicking for lack of assistance? Most constructive.

I see the pics as a resorce, to question personal skill sets and situation management - that leads to improved training and practices. Not doing so leads to more ####-ups.

The idea with common sense is to use it so that you dont need to use hindsight as much - the cage looks well made - add an ectro/mechanical gate raiser - or use an A frame rope and pulley and you get rid of the opportunity for the bear to use the human as play thing, may be they already have them and in this instance it did not work.

Still interesting how different people view the same situation.

David.

Col, if I`m right you view the event as an unfortunate accident and would feel the need to give the camera person a good kicking for lack of assistance? Most constructive.

no you are wrong please re read post # as what i said was i would say they have had training,(or did they just nip to bear cages R us,and buy a bear in a cadge) but unfortunately it went wrong this time, and commenting on the situation with hindsight is a wonderfully thing,

then please re read post #7 you will find i have all ready said it was said with tong in cheek,

I see the pics as a resorce, to question personal skill sets and situation management - that leads to improved training and practices. Not doing so leads to more ####-ups.

strange all i see is someone decided it was a good idea to drive off with a one thousand six hundred pounds of bear holding on to the very thing the chap was standing on. you Annalise it as much as you like,and then say i would have pulled my sidearm out and shot the bear,like i say sat behind a computer thats easy to say, but when you are being rag dolled around by something as big and powerful as a bear, well i will take all the help i can get,

The idea with common sense is to use it so that you dont need to use hindsight as much

no what you are doing is using hind site, and then saying i would have done this,and they should have done this,if you where using common sense you would take any help from anyone if you was in that position,they have probably done this a thousand times with no problems,

- the cage looks well made -

yes you can tell that it is well made from the photo :lol: maybe they did go to bear cages R us ;)

Still interesting how different people view the same situation.

my tong in cheek comment was not about how to improve the way bears are released,nor was it about training ranger to release the safely.

what it was about was what you would like to happen if things do go tits up, me i would like some help from my Friends/work m8s

you on the other hand feel it would be best if the ranger was eaten alive as there was a camera man there so you can use the footage as a good training opportunity. ;);):P

David.

Hi Col, it is now getting boring.........and starting to go the way of a pi**ing match. Shame a different point of view is a normal and healthy thing. Anyway thank you for the "conversation" - I would liken it to wrestling with a pig in shite.......after a while you realise the pig enjoys it.

David.

Hi Col, it is now getting boring.........and starting to go the way of a pi**ing match. Shame a different point of view is a normal and healthy thing. Anyway thank you for the "conversation" - I would liken it to wrestling with a pig in shite.......after a while you realise the pig enjoys it.

David.

how to bow out gracefully, :) not :D

308 panther,

thanks for the informed reply. Sorry if it sounded like I thought a pistol was in any way a good tool for the job- just last ditch better than nothing as said in my first post. A couple of trained rangers standing off with 338 Win Mags would give a much better feel good factor.

Do you know if that was normal release practice - manual lifting of the gate, it looks a good way of putting a human and pi**ed of dangerous animal together as opposed to a remote release.

Amazed at the 24 hour hunt - sounds like a bloody good idea.

David.

WSM were did you get these pics from?

Might be other articles worth a look.

I know nothing about bear release but if it was me I would offer/expect an armed chaperone to cover the area for safety.

Archived