Lamping truck

Dac9976

Hi all

I'm thinking of converting my susuki jimny into a lamping vehicle as the chap who normally drives for us has lost interest.

Anyway was wondering if anyone else has done something similar?

Cheers

Danny.

Hi Danny,

I do all my lamping on me tod. Just stick a lightforce lamp through the roof and get used to shooting off the wing mirror, bit of pipe cladding and a rear but bag works a treat! I'm not in a jimni use my work l200 so am limited to what modifications I can do but if your not afriad of drilling a few holes in the body work you can make up all sorts of swinging brackets ect. Is your jimni an old or new style?

All the best, Ben

My Jimny set up for solo use. Roof mounted LF170 with T handle wired into the roof light so it has power when the ignition is off, carpet cover plank of wood between head rest of passenger seat and velcro'd to dash board. I'll post pics/vid tomorrow

Hi Danny,

I do all my lamping on me tod. Just stick a lightforce lamp through the roof and get used to shooting off the wing mirror, bit of pipe cladding and a rear but bag works a treat! I'm not in a jimni use my work l200 so am limited to what modifications I can do but if your not afriad of drilling a few holes in the body work you can make up all sorts of swinging brackets ect. Is your jimni an old or new style?

All the best, Ben

It's 2008 so oldish.

I've tried shooting out the window, not very comfortable and a bit awkward,

There's not a lot of room in the front of a Jimny.

I've got a lamping buddie so going solo is a no no.

Cheers

Danny.

My Jimny set up for solo use. Roof mounted LF170 with T handle wired into the roof light so it has power when the ignition is off, carpet cover plank of wood between head rest of passenger seat and velcro'd to dash board. I'll post pics/vid tomorrow

Be good to see some pics of your setup mate even though solo is not an option for me.

Cheers

Danny.

Let your friend drive and use the lamp, you shoot out the passenger window assuming you're right handed

Tried it Akeld tis bloody awkward, I don't 100% feel confident shooting from the window hence my idea of a hatch.

Cheers

Danny.

I've recently acquired a Jimny to use for a lamping truck. It is however a soft top so I have to come up with a lid for the back. And fit a piece of checker plate to the top. It came with the sunroof top but not the back. once the plate is fitted there's a T handle to fit. For the back I have an office swivel chair which is taller than usual a suitable bracket will be made from tube and angle iron to allow it to be removed easily when shutting lid. Other mods are strip of red led's wired to interior light, camera mounted to lamp and 7" screen in cab with smaller screen for rifle. A tannoy speaker wired to the stereo for calls. Extra battery in back with relay to disconnect to prevent flat battery when engine is off. Oh and it will have an A frame fixed to the front so its basically a trailer. Some of this was in use on my Daihatsu Terios until the Jimny came up.

In that I had fitted a Britax sunroof (often found in older cars) which the glass can be taken out of. However it was a tad cramped, and pipe lagging was a must for some comfort.

TBH I have only just got the transfer box mounts that were bust. And have yet to start putting it together.

I will try to remember and take photos as I build it.

All the bits are at the workshop as some had to be removed from the Terios (I gave that to farmer on permission for his lad). I will however be starting it very soon.

TBH I have only just got the transfer box mounts that were bust. And have yet to start putting it together.

I will try to remember and take photos as I build it.

All the bits are at the workshop as some had to be removed from the Terios (I gave that to farmer on permission for his lad). I will however be starting it very soon.

Laptop and phone are in the huff with each other and can't upload pics, I'll post when I can

I've only ever used a window bag, some of the frames I've seen look good but would still need two points of contact.

Just make one that hooks over

2015-11-20%2008.49.45_zpsvfmjj0if.jpg

The board slots under the fabric, eventually this will be changed for one that covers the whole opening

2016-09-12%2015.52.31_zps2pljeksn.jpg

I originally had the lamp plugged into the cigar lighter, this had two drawbacks, when the ignition was off, so was the power to the lamp and the lead got in the way of the rifle. Both problems solved by wiring into the interior light

2016-09-12%2015.52.54_zpsox8etayv.jpg

Extra power points if needed, might have to rewire this as lamps are not as bright when run through this

2016-09-12%2015.53.02_zpsnehunz2g.jpg

The shooting rest, this is simply a plank covered in carpet, drilled to allow the head rest to slot through and velcro'd to the dashboard

2016-09-12%2015.53.27_zpsgl8m38jh.jpg

Nice, did the photon based spotter work well? I have been considering a similar setup. Was the inability to adjust the focus easily a problem?

Yes worked fine, but now I have a thermal spotter on it ?

Gaz

How many lamping trucks does one man need lol......nice setups there mate.

Got a fabricating chap looking at the jimny tomorrow morning to see if he can put a hatch in the roof.

Archived