STOCKS

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

As many of you know,...or may not know I shoot a Remington 700 SPS, standard stock. I have been told the stocks are crap and I started a thread a long while ago regarding getting a replacement for it.

Some kind gentleman on here did offer me a stock for it but I cannot remember who ;)

Anyway, to save me trolling back through the threads, what are the benefits of the stocks that you lads use? I understand the floating barrel side of it but what about the shape in general? Which stocks do you consider to be far superior? Which one's do you avoid like the plague......apart from the SPS stock....lol?

And who was it that offered me a stock? :ph34r:

Regards

Sprags

Guest Sprags

Thanks,......thanks a lot.

I take it that if you are not in the elite long range club or superior knowledge club you get ignored.............

I'll ask the question somewhere else and let some salty types educate me I think.................

Apologies on behalf of the site if you feel you have been ignored Sprags ;)

There is loads on info on the site about the merits of aftermarket stocks, their types, benefits etc, all you have to do is use the search button....

However, to avoid uneccessary delay, I hope this assists:

Standard stock (SPS) flexible, unsupportive - leading to poor accuracy.

Aftermarket - (Carbon fibre, fibreglass, laminates, aluminium etc)

Provide stable supoort and base for action without "moving" when exposed to the inclemant weather.

Avilable in a choice of styles - hunting, tactical, target.

One excellent and cheap option for you remington is to find a used Remington Laminate stock from a varmint laminate rifle (VLS), these are very good if cost is an issue.

The choice is up to you my friend

It wasn't me that offered you a stock

Anyway, to save me trolling back through the threads, what are the benefits of the stocks that you lads use? I understand the floating barrel side of it but what about the shape in general? Which stocks do you consider to be far superior? Which one's do you avoid like the plague......apart from the SPS stock....lol?

And who was it that offered me a stock? ;)

Regards

Sprags

The three main top end stock manufactures are McMillan, Manners and Robertson, you can't go wrong with any of these.

As for shape, that all depends on what you intend using the rifle for? tell us that and I'm sure people will point you in the right direction.

Or what Ronin said :rolleyes:

The three main top end stock manufactures are McMillan, Manners and Robertson, you can't go wrong with any of these.

As for shape, that all depends on what you intend using the rifle for? tell us that and I'm sure people will point you in the right direction.

Or what Ronin said :lol:

I would agree with Ronin & Elwood, if you want cost effective look for a used VLS or HS VS take off stock (Two on sale forum) or high end mcmillan, Manners or Robertson.

The SPS can be surprisingly accurate if dropped into a good stock. I have a 223 SPS with sporter weight barrel that I dropped into a Mcmillan Lazzaroni stock, the stock was bedded for my 243 Ackley so it sort of fits well but I haven't bothered to re-bed it yet and its shooting sub 1/2MOA with 50 grain Bergers! Still has the crappy X mark trigger as well!

Get her bedded in to a good stock, lighten the trigger or fit an aftermarket unit and spend the time on load development and it will pay off.

Steve

I have 2 sps's and when new they wouldnt shoot for 5hite! after a recrown and new hogue full bedded stock they became very accurate! my .22-250 will shoot less than .5moa!

The full aluminium bedded hogue stocks are very good cost effective alternative. but avoid the standard piller bedded stock are still rather flexable

Archived