Watch this space

6mmBR

Watch this space lads, hopefully if we can get it sorted there will be an awards scheme for getting into these clubs.

I think the idea of cloth badges sadly is going to be dead in the water due to set up costs, but what about certificates instead, along the same line as the Varmint Hunters Association in the States.

They are easy to produce and are a permanent momentoe of the shot.

We are looking in to this at the moment. So what do you think?

Dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with Dave on this!!!! ;) ;)

I like the idea about the certificate too , Keep them ideas coming!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;)

All the best......................

RAY......................................... :D;)

Hi Dave,

I think the certificate is a good idea but I also think that shots should be witnessed . No witness - no certificate !

As many people live a good distance away from each other, you could relax the rules a little so that it doesn't have to be another UKV member.

With all due respect to the long rangers. Going into national press and promoting the use of live animals of any sort as long range experimental targets, would bring down a load of adverse comments and publicity we dont want. Particularly making in effect a competition of it.

I support the idea of the certificates, that would be very good and as Dave said a memento of the occasion, also for those with nobody near a pair of witnesses to sign a ukv witness sheet, even if not ukv members as is done for the woodcock right and left club.

Finally you can get the pewter badges made pretty cheaply these days and also the guy and his wife who took over from Albi Fox on the embroidery business do jumpers pretty cheap, so they may be able to offer patches at a reasonable price?

Redfox

Must get out and practice some longer shots ;)

With all due respect to the long rangers. Going into national press and promoting the use of live animals of any sort as long range experimental targets, would bring down a load of adverse comments and publicity we dont want. Particularly making in effect a competition of it.

I support the idea of the certificates, that would be very good and as Dave said a memento of the occasion, also for those with nobody near a pair of witnesses to sign a ukv witness sheet, even if not ukv members as is done for the woodcock right and left club.

Finally you can get the pewter badges made pretty cheaply these days and also the guy and his wife who took over from Albi Fox on the embroidery business do jumpers pretty cheap, so they may be able to offer patches at a reasonable price?

Redfox

Must get out and practice some longer shots ;)

Hi Redfox ,

Thankyou for your thoughts and i appreciate your concerns !!!! ;) ;)

Just to say at no point has there been any reference to a competition , it is down to the individual whether he or she decides to kill pests at long range!!!

There is no reference to go to press either!!! , this is a site where you have to register to be able to read posts!! , so it should only interest those who shoot!! , and if antis are reading it?? well dont matter what you do you are never going to please them!! so i am not going to try!!!! ;)

the idea of the club is for those that do , can share their experiences just like anybody would if they done a writeup on shooting bunnies with their 22 at 50yds............

I have done a writeup in the longrange varminting section on how to go about this and hope it helps those who need it!!!

As for the Antis , i think whether you shoot vermin at 30 yards or 300 that you are never going to please them!!!

So if this causes ethical issues with a person then its best they leave alone...................

Hope i have explained okay , but the guys who do this are not beginners , they are individuals who have spent many hours and years shooting experience on targets to gain a firm foundation of what they can or cannot do!!!!

And if we can share this knowledge with those who want to learn we can improve ourselfs as well as others to be the best we can be!!!!

Thanks again for your thoughts....................

RAY........................................ :D :D

Guest northernchris

Redfox

Good point but pick up ANY shooting glossy and there is a stack of photos of game shooters poseing for pics at the end of the days shoot,there are WAY WAY more birds "pricked" on a game drive than crows,vermin etc shot at extended ranges with full bore rifles even look at rabbits being shot with the .22rf how many have you seen drag themselfs off when "backended" by a badly placed shot????

This is shooting we are doing not knitting ;)

Guest northernchris

Dave

I think the cert that you mention is a good idea,easyer and cheaper than going the badge route,as for witnesses anybody that you shoot with would do as some of us arnt out with UKV members alot,and at the end of the day if people do bullshit about a long shot they are only kidding themselves ;)

Dave

I think the cert that you mention is a good idea,easyer and cheaper than going the badge route,as for witnesses anybody that you shoot with would do as some of us arnt out with UKV members alot,and at the end of the day if people do bullshit about a long shot they are only kidding themselves ;)

Sounds fair enough Chris............ ;)

All the best................

RAY.......................................... ;) ;)

Ray /Chris if you look back Funky suggested putting it in a national mag and Ray and Dave agreed "good idea" hence my post on the going into print, the competitive element is trying to get into ever longer ranges with others.

As for seasoned shooters, just look back through some of the posts and people are declaring 1-2-3 misses before connecting with the varmint in question, no element of certainty there is there? thats why they have paper targets.

I can and do shoot occasionally at longer ranges and always with a high degree of certainty I'm going to hit in the expected place, not chuck it and chance it!

The fact remains most people and a majority of shooters would criticise shooting at extreme range on live animals, that is not me having any ethical issues just a statement of fact, so better to keep it on here where we have control over readers and members and if someone has issues they dont need to be a member or do the shooting at range.

Redfox

so if I make a kill of say 1030 yards I will only get an award for 500???????????????

sounds that way to me since the 750 and 1000 have been hastilly removed to suit a minority?????????????????????

isnt this kind of thing what we all argue about, things like coz a few hundred anti's dont like guns thousands have to suffer the fear of them being taken away???????????

seems like the decision has been made for us, rather than edit to please all its removed to please a few

I thought that there were warnings about ethics on this site

I am not going to take sides as to weather it was right or wrong to do what has caused this to happen, but now I have to suffer and was looking forward to this new thing

guess I wont be hear much any more so its been nice knowing you guys, take care and safe shooting

ja

Hi Redfox ,

Thanks for your replies and you are correct that this is a contencious issue!!!!!

But Its funy how the varmint hunters magazine in the states can openly shoot pests at range without fear of persecution from others and its about time we did too!!!!

So i make no apoligies for being open what we do!!!!

And Jamie is right , next thing we know that we are all afraid to say we shoot , then what next , afraid that they will take our hobby and guns away!! about time we stood up to this crap!!!

Jamie my dear , if you get yourself a 1000 yard bunnie mate you go ahead and qualify , because if we get the " go ahead " for the certificates thats what will be written on it!!! :(

Dont want to lose you dude , so stick in there!!!!

All the best...................

RAY............................. ;);)

Guest varmartin

I dont come on here to worry about ` Anti`s....they can go and rub up against a stump for all i care...

This site was designed for US not them.....

Guest northernchris

Redfox

Whats wrong with it going into a mag???????????? Is it not full of pictures of people with DEAD beasts?? It would certainly help people getting into the sport.This isnt a new form of shooting either i was doing this type of rabbit control (PAID) 18 years ago on a Scotish estate useing a .270 where the crop yeild was so poor the coverd ammo costs and paid me by the hour,this was only after 24 months of hitting the population very hard,with long netting,lamping,gasing etc

Speak for yourself about taking several shots to get "on" i and a good few others on here do it on a very regular basis.Have you seen a rabbit hit anywhere in the body with a center fire the just dont walk off even if the shot is not 100% well placed.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ???,AS I ALREADY HAVE STATED,MORE PHEASANTS ARE PRICKED ON A DRIVEN DAY THAN RABBITS/VERMIN ARE WOUNDED BY CENTERFIRE RIFLES

And people except this no questions asked.You are starting to sound like one of the retards that has been ejected off here.

Now i am going to just say this me dears ,

No one forces you to squeeze the trigger to shoot a animal , its " your choice " and no one forces you too!!

And agreed you must do it with the least of suffering!!

And just like Myself and Chris had highlighted , a hit on a small pest at range is fatal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And whats the site called " Ukvarminting " now lets enjoy it without fear of persecution!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again lads............................ :(

All the best.....................

RAY........................................... ;);)

Am I missing something or does the section say 500+

Now if you shoot a rabbit at say 800 thats all well and good and if Dave or Ray want to write out a certificate with the exact distance on it thats fair enough.This will be posted on the 500+ section so why do you feel the need for more sections ??

No ones complained about shooting small targets such as rabbits/crows at extreme ranges because,as pointed out by Tiff in another post,if you do manage to hit such a small target the likelyhood is that its fatal such are the technology of modern bullet construction and all the vitals so close together.The problem arises when we start dealing with bigger targets (fox & bigger) because like it or not theres a higher chance of the strike not being fatal and its not like you could be up close and personal for a despatch shot 1000yds away is it ?

We owe it to whatever we shoot at the respect of a clean kill whenever possible and unfortunately on anything bigger than a rabbit this probability diminishes.The overwhelming majority on this site would back this up (including the two mods who run the section by the way)so to bleat about the minority having the say is complete nonsense!!

Finally this Forum is based on the American style of Varminting but even the Americans who are well versed in the art of long range shooting stick to gopher type size animals at that range.Doesn`t this say something

Now this section was set up by Ray & Dave with the best intentions and given the chance will add something different to those that are interested.Please give it chance

dont think I was "bleating" on about it and sorry but it is a fact the the minority win???????????????????????????????????

a "few" complained about "one" guys posting and instead of ammending or removing we gave in a removed the 750 and 1000 section so yes we gave in to that

myself and many others are in this proficiency area so "we" have had "our" section removed because of "one" instance of free speech (weather right or wrong is a matter of personal feelings).

would I have taken the shot?? proberbly no but thats just my opinion, however, if I had been shooting at 1000 yard target for a session and been shooting really well and suddenly a fox strolls right past my target and I felt really confident in hitting the right area then the story may be different as only the normal risks would apply in this situation the same as 50 or 100 or 200 or 300 but to suddenly see a fox at 1000 for example and take a cold shot at it then no I cannot see it being right (my opinion but there are guys more capable than I that could)

so you see I, in most cases except the above I would agree with you that just small things such as rabbits should be targeted

as you say we are following the american varminters on this site so why remove the 750 & 1000?????????????????? I still cannot see the sense in that

I still cannot see why just 750 and 1000 were removed? it gives a sense of climbing the ladder if you know what I mean, it gives someone a goal to achieve, to set a target (no pun intendid)

you may feel that you (not personally) are only comfortable shooting at say 300, there will be guys less experienced than you that feel just because they cant, are not able, that are disgusted at you shooting at 300, the same applies across the whole specrum so to give into one you may as well give into all

this site is a varminting site is it not? this sorta that which promotes growth and vigour is real, it happens right or wrong good or bad its a matter of personal opinion

moderate not dictate, modify not delete, what have we got to hide? nothing because we are all sensible law abiding people, to remove this and remove that coz it offends joe blogg gives the impression that we shooters are walking on egg shells like we know our future is doomed, that we have to worry about everything we say incase big brother is watching over us with a big axe to cut us all out, to end our barbaric blood sports and they know we are all that which promotes growth and vigour scared of them, running around like fleeing rats with our tails tucked, treading on eggshells as our rights are doomed

dont give in to this, please, this is a varminting site, it has a long range section, if it offends dont enter

On the button Ja :(

Quite agree!!!!! ;);)

All the best.....................

RAY............................... :D:D

Ray /Chris if you look back Funky suggested putting it in a national mag and Ray and Dave agreed "good idea" hence my post on the going into print, the competitive element is trying to get into ever longer ranges with others.

If you care to look I said another idea not a good idea.

Anyway all ideas need to be thrown in the pot.. By this the forum should go from strenght to strength.

Good luck on the longer shots and I look forward to printing your certificate :(

Cheers

Dave

From a novice hope to be longrange shooter,i think there are some very valid points posted here,and as northernchris says if you fake shots you are kiding yourself BIG TIME ,the one thing i have noticed in my opinion the long range stuff has made me a more disciplined shooter concentrating on all aspects from target aquirement to squeezing off the shot, once i have my wind metre again i think this will teach me better understanding of reading the wind from muzzle to target, as for certificates a great idea i think and great new sections to the site its geting better all the time

Archived