Quickload request

Otisthedog

Hi folks,

If anyone has Quickload and is bored, I'd be very grateful (not having a chrono) of what velocity QL predicts for the following. Not sure what info is required, but I've listed everything I can think of. I will shoot over a chrono when I get the chance but for now I am just curious...

.243win, 22in barrel

85gr Sierra HPBT # 1530

Norma brass, full-length sized, 2.035" trim length

Federal standard (#210) primers

45.2gr N160

2.650" OAL

Cheers,

Tim

You'd get 3100fps from that load if you had a 26" barrel according to QL.

But that is with the standard QL values for the powder, so yes you really need to chrono a few first so the actual burn rate can be input.

Vihtavuori Max reloading data

85g 43.8 N 160 3179fps (23" 52000cup- maybe 25 fps less for 22 barrel)

SAAMI spec commercial loads (24 inch barrel,52000cup-maybe 50 fps less for 22 inch barrel): cf

Fed 85g@3300

Nos 85@ 3025

CorBon 85@3200

Horn 85 @3175

so 45.2 N160 giving 2978fps does seem a bit low (given the Vihtavuori data,and the standard commercial loads MVs which average close enough to the Vihtavuori max load of 43.8 N160 @ 3150 ish....

I don't use QL though.

gbal

Just for reference, QL gives 2894fps for 43.8 of N160 with 23" barrel (85gn Sierra 1530 loaded to OAL of 2.710) so quite low compared to Vihtavuori's data.

I almost always have to adjust the powder burn rate (variable Ba) in QL as the standard values are very often not near to the actual value of the batch of powder being used, so that will be part of the problem.

However, if I adjust Ba of N160 to get 3176fps, I then get a pressure of 62021psi which is high even for max load data.

It all comes back to the chrono . You can't rely on QL to give you accurate MVs unless you have 'calibrated' it first with some real world data. Then it starts to become a useful tool.

Vihtavuori Max reloading data

85g 43.8 N 160 3179fps (23" 52000cup- maybe 25 fps less for 22 barrel)

Thanks folks. I should be able to borrow a chrono in the next few weeks so will be interesting to see the results.

My starting load was 41.5gr, but I had sooty cases right up to 43.5gr. I kept working up with no obvious pressure signs (groups were not great), and the group tightened right up at 45.0 - 45.5gr with only slight flattening of primers noticeable at 45.5gr.

While Viht's max load for Nosler Partition 85gr is 43.8gr as gbal states, Viht's max for Barnes TSX 85gr is 46gr.

I was hoping to get to 3150fps or thereabouts.

Thanks again, Tim

JSC,

Thanks for that "cross check" with amended QL-much of the "discrepancy" is resolved by using the same pressure units- the 52,000 cup I quoted translates to 60,000 psi (not quite the 62021 psi from QL,but reassuringly closer-given the other 'adjustments').

(I should have given both the pressure values,then it would not have been so readily overlooked-if indeed it was!)

I don't use QL (in part,because it needs massaging usually-and if that needs 'real' data and then It's just as easy to work from the real firing data input directly ( or a consensus of manufacturer's ammo/powder published data)-at least to SAAMI max values.

But of course QL could-properly used-be a decent guide.

QL does seem to directly or indirectly to suggest a little mischief on here.Unintended 'misuse',probably-eg inaccurate burn rates,or inaccurate drop data etc entered.......

But there simply is no alternative to squaring with the definitive fire data- accurately measured holes on paper can't be finessed/ignored :-)

TIm : (P243K) Federal load the 85g Barnes Triple-Shok X Bullet at 3200fps (24 inch, SAAMI spec),so your desired 3150 fps is ball park-bearing in mind individual rifles can vary a little. Good shooting!

Jsc hi , how or which bit/icon is it that changes the BA ? I never knew that could be done . Maybe a pikky to show which ? But no probs if not possible bud - thanks

Jsc hi , how or which bit/icon is it that changes the BA ? I never knew that could be done . Maybe a pikky to show which ? But no probs if not possible bud - thanks

Click on the button to the right of the powder selection dropdown box, then you will see all the variables become editable. You'll also see a new button appear at the bottom right which allows you to input ambient temperature, which is also worth doing as it can make a significant difference.

If you still can't see it I can post a pic.

Click on the button to the right of the powder selection dropdown box, then you will see all the variables become editable. You'll also see a new button appear at the bottom right which allows you to input ambient temperature, which is also worth doing as it can make a significant difference.

If you still can't see it I can post a pic.

This is bloddy fantastic - cheers , my predictions have always been slightly out , so will be fetteling later or tomorrow to see - thanks again ;)

Archived