Tactical bolt handle conversion

Has anyone had a tactical bolt handle put onto there remmy 700 action.

Am in the middle of getting a new bolt for my remmy 700 and wondered what prices and work are involved in cutting off the old remmy bolt handle and putting on a new aftermarket handle ?.

Ads

Has anyone had a tactical bolt handle put onto there remmy 700 action.

Am in the middle of getting a new bolt for my remmy 700 and wondered what prices and work are involved in cutting off the old remmy bolt handle and putting on a new aftermarket handle ?.

Ads

hi ads

i have actually had one done for a customer and i have one to do for another,

there are a couple of different ways to do the job but i believe the best is to thread the bolt knob on to your bolt handle, ( others just glue them on,)

dasherman screws them on,i know this through experience of having them done, and inquiring about the job, (not just a shot in the dark)

give dasherman a call he will sort you out.

ATB

Colin :excl:

Not wishing to belittle the obvious virtues of Dasherman and his work.

I think any reputable gunsmith capable of creating a tenon and threading would be able to do the work for you.

The bolt knob has to be turned down to a stub / tenon and then threaded.

If you cut off the knob, you will have too short a handle. :excl:

A gifted machinist from the forum made me a jig to support Remington bolts in the lathe.

Here is what I mean about creating the tenon

BackupPicsvarious686.jpg

The finished bolt

BackupPicsvarious687.jpg

I believe you could do the work yourself IF you can use a dremel (or similar) tool and have a 1/4 x 28 die, but it would be a bit hit and miss to get the stub central to the bolt handle.

There is another type of bolt knob available where one cuts off the knob and drills into the handle, the new knob is then held in place by a peg inserted into the drilled hole.

I dont think this method is as strong as the threaded type available from Badger / Calhoon etc.

Just as an aside Ads, I note you say you are getting a new bolt?

If thats the case, no doubt its coming from PTG, if so you can specify a PTG bolt with tac knob already fitted as well as other options such as M16 style extractor.

Just a thought :)

Ronin, I don't suppose you can give us some pictures of your bolt holding device for the lathe can you?

pretty please?

Guest Remmy

Here's my bolt handle done on my remmy 700 held on with two torx bolts by Pete Lincoln, turn around was a week and it cost me £50, it was done three years ago and still going strong. :excl:

1000686lf1.jpg

Hi Eldon

this is the type of jig used and "in use"

Bolthandlejig1.jpg

Bolthandlejig2.jpg

The difficult bit is getting the centre of the original handle prior to machining, if youre off, it obviously affects the fit of the new handle.

I think you can see in my pic the knob is about .030" off centre.

Doesnt affect use at all, and unless you really look for it you dont notice.

Here's my bolt handle done on my remmy 700 by Pete Lincoln, turn around was a week and it cost me £50, it was done three years ago and still going strong. :excl:

Pic missing mate!

Cheers for the replys Lads, I will have a look into getting it done. I am quite drawn to getting a new bolt from PTG with the handle already fitted as standard.

Cheers

Ads

Cheers for the replys Lads, I will have a look into getting it done. I am quite drawn to getting a new bolt from PTG with the handle already fitted as standard.

Cheers

Ads

Probably the best way forwards, (if you do need a replacement bolt)

Eldon

the jig isnt something I would want to machine from stock (my own mill isnt the best, but quite capable of small scale / light cut work, had a large one like a Bridgeport, it would be a breeze ;) ), and they aren't commercially available (it would be nice if there was a universal one for Sako, Tikka, Howa, Rem etc) that could be ajusted to suit.

Eldon

a few, do you mean one may be for sale?

Dasherman

CNC mill, oh my, I can only dream of such things :D

Probably the best way forwards, (if you do need a replacement bolt)

Eldon

the jig isnt something I would want to machine from stock (my own mill isnt the best, but quite capable of small scale / light cut work, had a large one like a Bridgeport, it would be a breeze :D ), and they aren't commercially available (it would be nice if there was a universal one for Sako, Tikka, Howa, Rem etc) that could be ajusted to suit.

Just off the phone from STG. Looks like a three week leed time to get the bolt made/jewel fluted and handle fitted then a week or so for postage :D

Im without a rifle and the ruts on :D

Aquahollie,

Chris has shown me your bolt and asked my opinion.

The bolt handle is pretty well beaten up around the camming area and my opinion should be replaced.

The replacement bolt from PTG is defo the best wat to go.

Ian.

Ian,

Im in full agreement mate,

what im not sure of is do i go for the STG bolt that will have there tactical bolt handle and diamond fluting (will take 4 weeks to make and ship)

OR

do/can i send chris my other bolt from the 22.250 remmy and have it fitted into the 243 ack. I would then order another bolt from STG and make the 22.250 into a custom complete with new fancy bolt.

Im thinking this would be the better way to go as Chris is painting the action for me on the 243 and the bolt would be done as well.

So my question i guess is :- can i use the bolt from the 22.250 in my 243 ? Im right in saying there the same bolt face ?.

Ads

Oh hey dude, just noticed the pics. Thats an awsome job on the handle mate. Bet it would be harder though on a remmy as the bolt knob is not round as such.

Ads

Cant see why it wont work, the bolt face is the same.

Chris would have to check the distance from the back of the lugs to the camming point on the bolt handle to make sure it corresponds with the distance on the 243 bolt.

If its too long there may be issues with camming the bolt open.

Ian.

Guest northernchris

Ads

Sent you a pm with my thoughts on the bolt issue,when Ian came round the other day for a brew and a look a chat i let him have a wee look at your bolt and he confirmed what i had already told you ,the bolt is way past its sell by date :D

Lovely work Colin.

hi ronin

the customer is over the moon with the job, and the bolt fluting is nice as well.

i have another in the safe that is going to have a bolt knob put on, but I'm waiting for a fluted barrel to come (only just sent for it) but it will be about 8 weeks for that one.thats going on a sako 1V .270 i have in for re barreling.

i will put some photos up of her when she is done.

ATB

Colin :D

Archived