twist rate!!!

Guest brieny1000

Guest brieny1000

hi,

i have a tikka t3lite in 223 and only found out about twist rates of barrels

since i joined this forum ;) . my barrel has a 1 in 8 twist. i have been using 50 and55 gr

bullets. i just read a link from this forum bout twist rates and it gave 80gr for my

caliber/twist.does it make much of a difference? is it at longer ranges i would notice?

problem is i dont re load and my local gun shop (that sold me the gun) only stock

50/55gr

Your gunshop should have advised you on the barrel twist and suitable bullet weights on purchasing the rifle, if they didn't thats a bit naughty.

Although the standard weight ammo will work Ok try to keep to the 55grn loadings they should be good for 300yds, however the full potential of your rifle will not be realised until you start using loads with 69grn + bullets.

Although they will be launched at slower velocities the High BC of the heavier bullets will return much better ballistics then the lighter and will effectively double the killing range of the 50-55grn loadings.

Ian.

hi brieny 1000,

cant proclaim to be an expert but you shouldnt have any problems as long as you dont push loads for to much velocity if you reload as the lighter bullets ie 40grains to 50grains may blow up as they are spinning to fast general guide seems to be keep muzzle velocity below 3000fps with these light bullets you shoulnt have any problems with 55 grain or heavier factory loads they should behave ok. as you are shooting factory ammo just watch the velocity figures on the box . if you can find them dont be affraid to try some heavier bullets as you may get better accuracy but if you not having any problems with grouping stick with what you have.

Brieny. With your 8" twist rate, your T3 should handle RG milspec ammo.. Cheaper than commercial fodder and good for 600 yards if your rifle likes em. Some do , some dont..

It has a 62 grain fmj bullet that's designed for a 7" twist but works well in 8 or a 9" twist.. Give it a try.. One thing though.. it's a high pressure round and will produce a little muzzle flash in short barrels..

Grant..

No axe to grind here and not trying to gainsay your advice Streeker, but I would be careful about using milspec ammo in a factory rifle.

Look at the 6mmBR website under the 223 section:

www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html.

However, it may well be that RG milspec is ok in your rifle, Brieny, but I would advocate caution and take advice if you think it necessary.

I use handloaded 55 gn VMax in both 223 and 22-250 and get instant dead foxes as long as I hold straight. They're good for up to 3-400, so I'm told, but if you can shoot 'em at that sort of distance, good luck, you're a better man than me!.

Peter

hi brieny 1000,

cant proclaim to be an expert but you shouldnt have any problems as long as you dont push loads for to much velocity if you reload as the lighter bullets ie 40grains to 50grains may blow up as they are spinning to fast general guide seems to be keep muzzle velocity below 3000fps with these light bullets you shoulnt have any problems with 55 grain or heavier factory loads they should behave ok. as you are shooting factory ammo just watch the velocity figures on the box . if you can find them dont be affraid to try some heavier bullets as you may get better accuracy but if you not having any problems with grouping stick with what you have.

I run 55grn Sierra Blitzkings in my 1in8 twist Bradley Arms AR15. 23.5grns Viht 133, 3480fps and I've never had one blow up because it was overspun.

Brieny, 1in8 is a great twist rate for .223 and will give you a much wider choice in bullet weights.

Pete.

308 panther

accept the figures you give but there is a huge difference of rpm on the bullet if you drive them out of a 1 in eight twist compared to the more normal range of varmint guns which tend to fall in the 1 in 12 to 1 in 14 twist range .

hence the advice of watching the muzzle velocity as that should keep the rpm down a bit .

1 in 12 twist @ 3000fps equals 180000 rpm

1 in 12 @ 3500 fps equals 210000 rpm

1 in 8 @ 3000 fps equals 225000 rpm

1 in 8 @ 3500fps equals 262500 rpm

as the figures show a slow 1 in eight in not that far away from a fast 1 in 12 .

55 grn should behave ok as they can be driven a lot faster without problems as the 22 250 shooters regulary do.

Guest brieny1000

thanks lads

lots ofusefull info coming in.

and here i was thinking it was just a case of point and shoot.

how wrong i was. :lol:;)

keep yer ideas coming.

thanks again

paul

There,s an old saying...."never twist a bullet faster than you have to" it buggers accuracy. match the bullet to the twist. A 1 in 8" was designed to shoot 69-77 grain bullets, not 55,s. Use what you have ...it will shoot the heavyweights a damn sight more accuratley at 600 yards.

Archived