Moose hunting in Sweden

Guest Tiff

I've met one of my dads friends who's got a 650 acre farm in Sweden and wouldn't mind me over in late September for the Moose cull. Last year he and the neighbouring farmer got over 70 in a fortnight B):D !!! So I should get a chance to properly test my .338 TRG ;)

So having never shot in Europe before, what do I need to organise apart from the European firearms pass. Any tips as to how to get it to run smoothly would be great.

Cheers Tiff

I had a read of this earlier; it seems to give me more questions than answers. One being do I need to do a Swedish hunting test when I get there or not?

I put it up before i read it properly, and as you say more questions than answers......

I've met one of my dads friends who's got a 650 acre farm in Sweden and wouldn't mind me over in late September for the Moose cull. Last year he and the neighbouring farmer got over 70 in a fortnight :D;) !!! So I should get a chance to properly test my .338 TRG :blink:

So having never shot in Europe before, what do I need to organise apart from the European firearms pass. Any tips as to how to get it to run smoothly would be great.

Cheers Tiff

Didn't you say that you were issued the 338 for range use only??? If that is the case than I strongly advise you seek advise from your issuing force.

Even though the shooting maybe abroad the firearm in question has been granted to you with limited use, and using it for other uses may cause you to be in breech of your tearms and conditions laid out in your certificate.

Didn't you say that you were issued the 338 for range use only??? If that is the case than I strongly advise you seek advise from your issuing force.

Nope, they agreed it posed no extra risk to public safety than my previously owned .300 RUM (that has equal energy and ballistic properties) and as such it is granted for all use on my open ticket :excl: This might change when it comes under review in a while, but for the time being I'm enjoying it to the full ;):) They did say it was the only one they where issuing for this purpose in D&C for the time being though. So my second .338 can only be used on approved ranges.

Tiff,

You will have to pass the swedish shooting test before they will let you near any animal mate.

This includes offhand shots from 80m on a moving deer target and the vital zone must be hit.

Its this part of the test that most stumble at.

How good are you at shooting offhand with your TRG 42?

Tiff,

You will have to pass the swedish shooting test before they will let you near any animal mate.

This includes offhand shots from 80m on a moving deer target and the vital zone must be hit.

Its this part of the test that most stumble at.

How good are you at shooting offhand with your TRG 42?

That's what I feared, would the test have to be taken with the same rifle or could I use a smaller .308 that has a bit easier recoil to handle?

Also do you need this ticket even if your shooting as a guest on a friends own private farm?

Finally any ideas if slings are allowed and the speed/size of the target?

Cheers Tiff

A friend of mine organises hunting trips to an estate in the Alsace region in France, primarily boar from stands or blinds.

He has also ventured to Sweden after moose and had to pass the Swedish test.

Each time he organises a trip to Alsace he books the moving target range at Warcop for his clients which provide a good simulation of a moving animal.

This is good practice.

I believe you would have to use the rifle you were to be shooting with over there in order to take the test.

Don't know if there is a mover range in your area Tiff, but you could fabricate something if you have the time on level ground using a radio controlled car with a target on top (use a cheap car)

That's what I feared, would the test have to be taken with the same rifle or could I use a smaller .308 that has a bit easier recoil to handle?

Also do you need this ticket even if your shooting as a guest on a friends own private farm?

Finally any ideas if slings are allowed and the speed/size of the target?

Cheers Tiff

Don't wimp out now you did say you were at the top of your game as far as shooting goes so go show em' you can do it with any rifle not juts little toys :(

The target size would have to be life size or it would hardly be a fair test!!!!!

Archived